Spire Point Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
relic

relic - Sep 19, 2020 8:05 am Date Climbed: Aug 25, 2020

Standard route  Sucess!

Standard east side. I'm not sure if I am confused, but the last bit of route description seems off. We went slightly right, mostly straight up from that last belay/rap spot, for the last 50 or 60 feet, with my partner leading straightforward low class 5 to a ledge about 10 feet below the summit. We couldn't see a way to go left, at least not staying class 4 or even low 5. My belay partner thinks part of the face might have peeled away since this was written, making left much more difficult.

cpeirce - Aug 27, 2018 1:16 pm Date Climbed: Jul 24, 2018

Spire Point  Sucess!

fourth class climbing and descending. No rope needed; just a cool head and steady feet.

Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Jan 30, 2013 12:38 am Date Climbed: Aug 16, 1980

Quick weekend  Sucess!

Long ago, in days of yore, the road was open all the way to the Downey Creek campground & trailhead. Mike Woodmansee, Tim Raschko, and I drove from Mount Vernon early Saturday morning and made it to a camp on Itswoot Ridge that evening. We set up the tent, and I broke out my stove, when Mike asked what I was doing.
I thought it was obvious and reasonable, but Mike was never reasonable when he had mountains under his feet. Groaning & whining, I loaded my day pack with glacier & rock gear, and we were on the summit of Spire just before sunset. We found our tent with the help of our flashlights.
The next morning was a bit crisp & gray, but we dragged our butts up Dome, then packed ourselves out to the car that afternoon.
One of Mike's favorite phrases when climbing was, "maximum use of daylight." Being his friend and climbing partner involved significant risk of turning that phrase to reality.
Nike had just introduced their lightweight Approach trail boots that year, and I wore them, while Mike & Tim wore normal leather mountaineering boots. That hike out was the only time I've ever outhiked Mike. The date I used here is a guess; I'll have to find my slides from the trip.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Sep 12, 2012 2:59 am Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2012

A Great Bonus!  Sucess!

This was a great bonus to our Dome Peak trip. Some low class 5, but a lot of fun.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Sep 6, 2012 12:23 am Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2012

East Face  Sucess!

Great climb to a tiny summit. Made a new page for it!

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Spire Point' main page