Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Feb 8, 2016
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Winter

Hiking Squak Mountain

Of the Issaquah Alps, Squak is much less popular than Tiger and Cougar, most likely because of the lack of a payoff at the summit. But that means fewer crowds. We parked at the main trailhead off May Valley Road and followed the Central Peak Trail and its various connectors, including the Bullitt Fireplace Trail, for a 6.6 out-and-back hike.

We shot a quick video to capture the highlights:

 

Unless you're determined to reach the summit, which is populated by cell towers and the like, you can easily make your turnaround point the Bullitt Fireplace, which offers a quiet picnic area in the trees about a half mile from the top. We were impressed with all the bubbling creeks, many of them partially hidden, during the first half of the ascent. The trail is much steeper once you leave the multi-use segment (about 1.7 miles into the hike). All in all, a nice climb without the crowds.

Bullitt Fireplace at Squak Mountain.
Bullitt Fireplace at Squak Mountain. Photo by Gibson Kite.





Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Squak MountainTrip Reports