Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.03120°N / 121.463°W
Additional Information County: Snohomish
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 4513 ft / 1376 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

          St'auk mountain is situated at the southeast corner of the Mountain Loop Highway, just across the road from Barlow Point.                                
    
    
Unnamed Image

    
     The contour of its base dictates the curve of the highway and around the corner to the Monte Cristo road.  It sits at the confluence of the Sauk and Stillaguamish rivers and crouches down in the front row before its bigger brothers: Lewis, Del Campo, Morning Star, etc.

     At 4513 feet it doesn't have the views of a Dickerman or Del Campo, but despite its mostly forested flanks does have some worthy but limited looks at the nearby peaks.

     This peak makes a good winter or spring hike, especially because of its convenient, roadside location.

Getting There

     Take Highway 9 north or south, depending on your location and travel north of Lake Stevens to Hwy 92.  Go east on 92 for several miles to Granite Falls onto the Mountain Loop Hwy. (left hand turn if going through town or Quarry rd from the roundabout)  Follow the Mountain Loop Hwy for about 30 miles until you arrive at Barlow Pass and the Monte Cristo rd.  Once here, one can either park in the Barlow Point parking lot or in the large turnout area across the street next to Monte Cristo rd.

Route

     From the parking lot or turnout area, cross a small creek and head uphill through open timber to the south-southwest.  The goal here is to continue ssw, along the path of least resistance until you reach a shelf at about 3400 feet.  This is a good place to put snow shoes on if early season dictates.  From this shelf my next waypoint was a smaller landing at the base of a SW to NE spur ridge at about 3800.  From here to the top of the ridge I did run into a small cliffy area but found a snow chute with enough vegetation to bush belay my way up and down without much trouble.  Once on top of the spur,  make your way southwest to the roughly perpendicular ridge and travel northwest up to the summit.  There are trees enough at the summit to limit views but below the summit there is a landing with worthwhile panoramas.

Unnamed Image





Lewis and Del Campo from St'auk
Lewis and Del Campo from St'auk

Red Tape

     Will probably need a parking pass for the parking lot at Barlow Point or the turnout parking for Monte Cristo.

When to Climb

     Can be climbed any time of year, provided one can get to Barlow pass in the winter.

Camping

     There are campsites and campgrounds all along the Mountain Loop area. 

External Links

Add External Links text here.