Steirerspur

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.81269°N / 16.01978°E
Additional Information Route Type: Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: C
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Steirerspur is a short, but interesting via ferrata route on Hohe Wand. It's a good choice for those who have never been on any VF but would like to try it.

Steirerspur in January

The route is passable in all seasons but is rather hard when there is snow or ice on the rocks.

Although it is declared to be suitable for children (according to bergsteigen.at) but I personally advice it to kids older than 8-10 years, and only when it's snowless and dry.

Getting There

Go to Grünbach, and follow the road signs to Seiser Toni. Park the car there and take any of the paths to the plateau of Hohe Wand. Find Hubertushaus there. (from Seiser Toni approximately 40 minutes)

The route starts about 150m northeast of the house. Just walk near the edge of the plateau to notice the cables. (there is no other signs of the route)

A nice half-day tour combination is ascending on Springlessteig to Hubertushaus, then taking Steirerspur. After a rest Wildenauersteig, and finally descending on Wagnersteig. (Actually there are signs on Wagnersteig showing it to be closed but on the 4th April, 2009 we didn't notice any reasons of it. The path was easily passable.)

Route Description

Steirerspur

The route starts right at the edge of the plateau. It descends a little on the rock first, then goes horizontally towards southwest, and finally ascends back to the plateau.

Steirerspur topo


The time required for a round-trip (from Hubertushaus) is approximately 20-30 minutes.

Essential Gear

Via ferrata equipment.

External Links

There is an excellent route description in German at bergsteigen.at

Another one (also in German) at www.volki.at

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hohe WandRoutes