Viewing: 1-1 of 1

WarrenShoe - Jul 28, 2021 8:49 am - Hasn't voted

Stetattle Ridge to Elephant Butte

July 23 - 25, 2021 What a gorgeous place to camp, on one of Stetattle Ridge's knobs! Route Tips: hike up the Sourdough trail to Sourdough creek, 4900 ft., then 2 switchbacks further, climb up the steep meadow, through some trees to a meadow that traverses left into the Sourdough Creek draw, and up that to the connection of Stetattle and Sourdough ridges (5900 ft). There's no path, but there are signs of boot damage. Cruising the ridge is easy and on an intermittent path. Nice camping spots around the third to fifth knob (approx. 6400 ft. top of Stetattle Ridge, before Stetattle Peak). Get water from tarns - plenty in late July, probably not much left late August.
Next day we followed the ridge to its end and onto Elephant Butte. After Stetattle Peak there are 2 more knobs (not visible from camp). Hike to the foot of Stetattle Peak, traverse left, stay high to avoid deep cut gullies. There's probably water still running here in late August. After the last knob, descend left into trees, bushwhack, trend left, through meadows then trees again. There's a path when you finally need it - but it's rough. And reach the notch below Elephant Butte.
We continued to the tarn at 5135 ft. which had some icebergs in it. This is difficult bushwhacking, no sign of others going through. Traverse above the first cliffs, below the second. After that tarn, the terrain looks easy, not much brush - but we had run out of time for that day.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'Stetattle Ridge' main page