Stewart Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 51.02196°N / 115.34065°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble/Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Long hike/Scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

One way is follow the highway from Canmore and head south and exit at the Bow River Campground overpass follow the signs to the golf course. You have to cross the golf course to get to Stewart Creek. (be respectfull of the course, this will allow climbers in the future to continue to cross this private land).

A longer route (unfortuantely the one we took) Take the Trans-Canada highway from Canmore and get off at Dead Mans Flats. Park at the trail head near The Alpine Haven Resorts. Hike the old mining roads or better still mountain bike to cut the time. The trails ar not well marked so a topo is a good idea. Once you get to Stewart Creek follow the trail that disappears and reappears along the creak once you get above the trees at the end of the creek follow the scree slope up to the right to the sloping ridge. From there it is an easy walk.

Route Description

Follow the road up the west side of the creek. Eventually you will find yourself in the middle of the dry creek bed. Continue up this and eventually to the left of the creek up to a fork. Then head right and continue to a scree (avalance) slope to the right that angle up to between Big Sister and Middle Sister. The trail up the creek bed while not difficult is small rocks and bolders. Horse flys are annoying here. Head to the right up the scree slope and continue along the gental consolidated scree to the summit. Depending on you fitness this can be a long day or a really long day. It can be a very dry hike. So bring lots of water or a good water filter and fill up at the beginning of Stewart Creek.

Essential Gear

Good hiking shoes will do. Dress for the mountains. Keep warm clothes and wind or rain gear handy in case of bad weather. Remember lots of water.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.