Stinging Nettle

Stinging Nettle

Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica) is common in canyons and washes of the Spring Mountains. I took this picture on top of Big Falls near the stream. The red flowers in the background are crimson columbines. Even though the hairs of Stinging Nettle will irritate your skin on contact, the plant itself has a lot of medicinal properties and it has been used as a remedy for arthritis since ancient times.
Anya Jingle
on Jul 19, 2008 4:43 pm
Image Type(s): Flora
Image ID: 422589

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Jul 19, 2008 5:13 pm - Voted 10/10

It's considered the same species

as European nettle, but ... it just doesn't have the sting!

Sometimes I think that the good-for-your-health stories are just old wives's tales to soothe the crying stung grandkids. "But dear, it is good for you!".

Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Jul 20, 2008 12:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: It's considered the same species

Well, I don't know. Personally, I do believe in the power of herbs. I've never tried eating stinging nettle though.
Thank you for the comment.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Jul 20, 2008 10:31 am - Voted 10/10

Re:eating stinging nettle

Oh the depth of difference in cultural experiences LOL. Back home the nettle was ubiquitous ... swaying on both sides of each little creekside trail guarding our swimming holes, lurking in every raspberry bush waiting for the kids to snatch a berry or two.

Back in the days when vegetables had seasons, nettle was our first spring green, usually going into a bland vegetarian soup with a bit of barley. Probably not a huge load of vitamins but it sure was an expression of the triumph of spring over the long, long winter. But the point is, it was always the kids sent to pick the young shoots of nettles, the under-5" ones which don't sting. And the message was, "and if you wanna fill your basket faster by plucking the taller shoots, and your fingers get stung ... well, it teaches your a lesson, these older shoots are too coarse for the soup ... and don't cry, the sting's good for your health" :)

lcarreau

lcarreau - Jul 20, 2008 2:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Re:eating stinging nettle

Sorry, Dmitry. I didn't mean to be so smug in
my comment. It all DEPENDS on where the
individual grew up. At a very young age, I was taught by my parents that Stinging Nettle was bad and terrible. Now ... I've learned
otherwise! Thanks for the information!!!! :)

Larry

Viewing: 1-4 of 4