Stonehouse - Modesto Ridge

Stonehouse - Modesto Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.10403°N / 118.70744°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Walkup Route in red
The name of this route refers to the creek basins on either side of the ridge used to summit West Pueblo Ridge from the west side. Stonehouse Creek lies to the south of the ridge, and Modesto Creek lies on the north side of the ridge. This route travels 3 miles one way with 2800 feet of elevation gain.

Getting There

To reach Stonehouse Creek turn onto the gravel Bog Hot road where highway 140 circles south of the Pueblo Mountain Range in Nevada, this is 9 miles west of Denio Junction. Once on the Bog Hot road travel 10 miles north past the Bog Hot Reservoir and Hot Springs to a 90 degree turn to the east at the Oregon End Ranch. Continue around the corner where it will almost immediately turn back north. After another 2.5 miles of northward travel the road will sweep west down into the Oregon End Ranch. At this point you will instead continue northeast on a slightly worse quality dirt road. Within half a mile you will see a road take off to the east, turn right here. Immediately you will come to another Y in the road, here take a left. From this point there are no further options to turn right or left. It's a rough 3 miles to the end of the road with two gates you will have to open and close, and at least two stream crossings (possibly more depending on conditions). Follow the road as far as you are comfortable with, there is clearing in the sagebrush at 3 miles in next to a creek that makes a great starting point and has a creek next to it. The first major stream crossing is at 2 miles, and would also be a possible camping location.

Route Description

Stonehouse - Modesto RouteFollow the ridgeline on the left
The 4x4 road ends where Stonehouse Creek emerges onto the plains of the Bog Hot Basin. This is the beginning point and a good camping location. To the northeast of the road's end climbs a gradual ridge that terminates at 6853 with a great viewpoint of the Pueblo Mountain range. Ascend this ridge, its 1300 feet from camp over the course of 1.3 miles. From here its a 200 foot descent across a saddle to the west face of the primary ridge. From the saddle to summit its a 1500 foot climb directly up the mountain to the summit which is the highest point on the rib. The rib is easily ascended from its north side, the south side is a vertical basalt cliff.

Essential Gear

This route is intended for spring and winter summits of the ridgeline when roads should be devoid of snow along the west side of the Pueblo Mountain Range. As such, you wont reach the route without a 4x4 that has high clearance, there are two stream crossings in shallow but narrow creek channels. Water may not be available in the hottest summer months unless traveling up the Stonehouse Creek Canyon to find its spring. Rattlesnakes may be present at any elevation from mid-spring to late fall, so boots may be a consideration.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.