Strahlhorn

Strahlhorn

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing, Scenery, Panorama

A very long day

One of the nice things about the Alps is that there are so many great peaks packed so closely together. If the weather is good enough, it's perfectly feasible to climb a number of 4000-ers in short succession, and the extended network of refuges means you don't need to carry all that much gear. Unfortunately, during the whole summer of 2014 the weather in the Alps was fickle, with never a proper long lasting stable high pressure system, but a few good days in a row happened often enough. And early September, with the season already winding down, we found ourselves exactly in that situation.

Yesterday we had put the fine weather to good use and traversed Allalinhorn, ending at the Brittaniahütte. Today we had planned something bigger: we wanted to climb Strahlhorn, return to the hut and descend another hour or so to Mittel Allalin, where we could take the Metro Alpin funicular down to the valley. It didn't quite turn out that way, and we ended up staying another night at the hut. But despite a few setbacks, we did manage to summit. For the full story, check out the trip report that Mark has written. Here you can enjoy the pictures from one most excellent day in the Alps. And, to be precise, a few more from the day after.

Strahlhorn summit panorama stretching from Monte Rosa to Matterhorn
Strahlhorn summit panorama, stretching from the Monte Rosa massif to the Matterhorn and beyond



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
EricChu

EricChu - Nov 30, 2014 9:00 pm - Voted 10/10

A great album, Rob!

Your photos are just fantastic!!
Cheers,
Eric

rgg

rgg - Dec 2, 2014 9:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A great album, Rob!

Thanks Eric. As you know, the weather in the Alps this summer was rather a mixed bag, but there were short good spells. We were lucky enough to have one this time. And with that, it's easy to take good pictures in this beautiful area :-).

Cheers, Rob

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.