Suicide Chute Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jun 6, 2006 5:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Name?

Nice route page, Joe. Any idea on where the name Suicide Chute came from? When I climbed the south ridge I remember seeing a memorial plaque up there. It said In Loving Memory of Daniel H Rector who died in September 2002. I am unsure about what happened though.

Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough - Jun 6, 2006 6:13 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Name?

I really don't know where the name suicide chute comes from - I just used the name by which the chute is referred to in the book "The Chuting Gallery" by Andrew McLean.

Daniel Rector died in a fall somewhere on Mount Superior, but I don't think there is any relation to the name of the chute, although ironically he was with Andrew McClean at the time of the accident. Here is a short news report on the accident, but I heard elsewhere that he was actually trail running, not climbing, when the accident occured.

The memorial plaque is still there at the top of the chute. I took a photo of it for myself, but didn't think it was my place to post it online.

mountaingazelle

mountaingazelle - Jun 6, 2006 6:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Name?

Thanks for the info. That is a sad story and it was just an accident. I was surprised to find the memorial plaque up there because I remember hearing about it on the news.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Suicide Chute' main page