Pikes Peak beyond the rocky eastern slope
This is the shortest, most direct route with least elevation gain required to reach the summit of Mount Deception. Though short, the route gains more than 400 feet in less than one-third of a mile, a fairly stiff rate of gain. A 4x4 is required to reach this trailhead.
Getting ThereA 4x4 is required to reach this trailhead.
While a high clearance vehicle with good traction may
be sufficient in dry conditions, wet conditions (from rain or from snow melt) would turn Hotel Gulch Road into a quagmire.
From Rampart Range Road, go west on Hotel Gulch Road about 1.5 miles to a non-descript turnoff to a casual camping area and park.
(The campsite turnoff is at the highpoint of the road between two streams indicated on the map: White Spruce Gulch to the north of the camping are and Hotel Gulch to the south.)
Click map image to enlarge
Humble summit cairn of Deception Peak
- After parking near the open rustic camping area, head west through timber up the eastern slope of Mount Deception.
- A faint use trail may be apparent to the astute off-trail hiker. Follow this very faint boot route, taking the path of least resistance around boulders and outcrops.
- A short and easy scramble (Class 2+) brings the hiker to the flat, grassy summit surrounded by sparse trees.
- Trekking pole(s)
- Sturdy hiking boots with grippy soles and stiff ankle support
- Water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Other standard backcountry essentials