Summit Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.60000°N / 105.66°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

For the approach see the Mt. Evans page. This route starts at the summit of Evans. You can drive to the start of this route via the Mt. Evans Road or you can do this as a continuation of any route that takes you to the summit of Evans. This route can also be picked up midway via the Sawtooth Ridge from Mt. Bierstadt that meets this route at the saddle between Evans and Spalding.

Route Description

From Mt. Evans' summit you basically want to walk the ridge that starts heading west. You can pick up the trail on the ridge and follow the cairns. Once the ridge turns north, just before you would reach the second false summit, the route dips a bit lower on the ridge. At about the place you come below the first false summit, the route goes even lower (again follow the cairns). Roach describes this route as Class 2 but a few moves seemed to be Class 3 to me. Either way it's not a difficult route. The route goes lower still until it crosses the saddle between Evans and Spalding just above where the Sawtooth Ridge intersects it. From here it flattens out and you just head up the gentle slope hopping some rocks now and then to the summit of Spalding.

You can descend back the same way you came if you parked there. You could also descend to Guanella Pass or West Chicago Creek. You can also head back down the trail to Summit Lake.

Essential Gear

None needed. Just bring water and suncreen as well as a jacket for the regular afternoon storms that roll in.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.