Sunlight Peak Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 115
Scott

Scott - Sep 4, 2023 8:21 pm Date Climbed: Aug 19, 2023

Sunlight Peak  Sucess!


August 18

Kim and I rode the train to Needleton and hiked up to Chicago Basin. The weather forecast was ominous so we were a bit worried, but only a little rain fell. It was a scenic hike in with some nice waterfalls and views. We didn't see as many mountain goats and marmots as on previous trips.

August 19

I climbed Sunlight Peak while Kim hung out in camp to explore around and read her book. Sunlight was the only 14er I had left in Colorado so since I only had one peak to climb today, it was a mellow day and I hung out with Kim when I came back to camp.

It was a scenic hike/climb and the summit block was a real treat. I didn't have time to pick up my good shoes at home though so did the climb in Hokas with half the tread completely gone. I did meet one person near the top and we took pictures of each other summiting the peak. Other than the peak itself, the lake and waterfalls were really nice too, making this one of better of the Colorado 14ers.

The weather was good on the climb, but it rained a bit in the evening.

August 20

In the morning Kim and I hiked up the basin to look for marmots and mountain goats. We saw a few marmots and went back and packed up camp before hiking back to Needleton. We had a long ride home and I had to get up very early so we couldn't hang out much after the hike.

birdhead

birdhead - Feb 24, 2023 1:26 pm Date Climbed: Aug 29, 2022

Four in a Day from Camp  Sucess!

Climbed Sunlight, Windom, Eolus, and North Eolus on the same day from our camp high in Chicago Basin. Ended up being around an 11 hour outing with an hour or so chilling on Windom and another hour at the lake before hitting Eolus. Sunlight summit block is not bad on the ascent, but a little tricky on the descent, and I'm 6'2". Windom had an awesome view. The end of Eolus surprised me with its difficulty but we were probably off route a bit. Super fun day!

Matt McCullough

Matt McCullough - Sep 17, 2022 7:54 am Date Climbed: Sep 11, 2022

Peak #3 of the Chicago Basin  Sucess!

I made it to the top of the boulder pile on a beautiful clear morning with a bit of a stretch and a flop of my body rather than a hop as some taller climbers do. I chose a more direct descent than the standard route and made my way then up quickly to the saddle of Windom Peak for my last one of the day.

BKiser90

BKiser90 - Aug 29, 2022 1:24 pm Date Climbed: Aug 27, 2022

Chicago Basin #1  Sucess!

First of the Chicago Basin 14ers. Sunny, beautiful morning after a terrible, rainy first day in the Basin on Friday, Aug. 26. The route up Sunlight is fantastic. Great approach trail to the gully and fun class 3 scramble to the summit block. The summit block is just as described by so many: intimidating. Andrea and I summited but both took some time on the leap of faith. We were supported by our friends Jesse and Kalen who helped us summit and leap. Went to Windom after Sunlight.

JesseSumrak

JesseSumrak - Aug 29, 2022 10:14 am Date Climbed: Aug 27, 2022

Sunlight + Windom  Sucess!

Today promised to have better weather, so we started early to get the 2 14'ers on the other side. Started up Sunlight and the Class 3 was a blast on super grippy rock. Made it to the top in quick time and I opted not to do the Leap of Faith (didn't feel right), but enjoyed the amazing hike and peak. Traversed over to Windom for a quick and easy bag before the long hike back to camp. Clear skies all day.

JRaphaelson

JRaphaelson - Aug 15, 2022 4:50 pm Date Climbed: Aug 13, 2022

Sunlight, Windom, Eolus, and North Eolus  Sucess!

A tough but rewarding four peak challenge! In your face exposure for most of the day!

Woodie Hopper

Woodie Hopper - Sep 8, 2021 8:38 pm Date Climbed: Sep 7, 2021

Chicago Basin 4 pack (3rd of 4 14ers)  Sucess!

Started from the Purgatory TH. Came from Eolus. I didn’t find the “Leap of Faith” to be too bad. I just hopped across. Gorgeous day. Headed over to Windom next. Way too hot. I had to refill my water from snow melt before tackling Windom.

yadahzoemtn

yadahzoemtn - Mar 15, 2020 10:03 am Date Climbed: Aug 26, 2019

Chicago Basin is magical  Sucess!

That last step takes your breath away

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Aug 30, 2019 10:11 am Date Climbed: Aug 26, 2019

Standard southeast route from the upper basin  Sucess!

#1 08-26-19 W/ Yadazoemtn. From camping spot at 11,050' it took us about 5 hours to reach the daunting summit. We're a little slow but we're steady. The red-dirt gully was tedious but the rest was classic fun scrambling with decent cairns "most" of the time. Then dropped to the upper basin and crossed four snowfields to reach the saddle between Peak 18 and Windom and did Windom's west ridge.

eli.boardman

eli.boardman - Dec 27, 2018 12:02 pm Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2018

Fun scrambling, approached from Purgatory Flats  Sucess!

Solo scramble to the top after doing Sunlight Spire also solo

Wheelbarrow

Wheelbarrow - Feb 5, 2018 11:34 pm Date Climbed: Jun 17, 2017

#19  Sucess!

Apparently I saved the best for last because there was options for legit rock climbing which I opted for for better or worse. Never too committing to not be able to back out of so all in all a more exciting mountain.

utclimber - Oct 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Sunlight  Sucess!

Hiked up Sunlight during a backpack trip to the Chicago Basin.

RMdaytripsgrl

RMdaytripsgrl - Jul 21, 2016 6:27 pm Date Climbed: Jul 6, 2016

Not too Tough!  Sucess!

Some minor route-finding trouble on the summit ridge, but not too bad. This is a fun and beautiful mountain! Hubz did the tough moves at the top, not me, I was happy to tag the Geological Survey stamp at the almost-top. :)

voxnihili

voxnihili - Aug 17, 2015 11:07 am Date Climbed: Aug 11, 2015

Fun  Sucess!

Fun climb. Excellent views.

mgriffin015

mgriffin015 - Feb 27, 2015 9:29 pm

First 14er!  Sucess!

Overcame altitude sickness to do my first 14er! Amazing area! We took the train, which was pretty cool but I could do without it next time...

triyoda

triyoda - Oct 19, 2014 10:48 pm Date Climbed: Jul 22, 2012

Lucky Break  Sucess!

Thought I was rained out, but made a late start after the rain broke and was able to get this one in. The move off the summit block is the one that makes you pucker, I didn't really think about when I stepped over to get on top.

astroclimber

astroclimber - Sep 20, 2014 9:57 pm Date Climbed: Sep 2, 2014

Great Trip

Did Sunlight and Windom with Kat and Dave.

Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Jul 30, 2014 8:07 pm Date Climbed: Jul 29, 2014

Cool mountain!  Sucess!

What a great mountain, we summited this mountain second day of our trip together with Windom Peak.

SarahThompson

SarahThompson - Dec 29, 2013 7:10 pm Date Climbed: Aug 10, 2005

Summer & Winter  Sucess!

8/10/05 - Std route from camp in Chicago Basin along with Windom. Opted for the friction finish, not the jump/step across.

12/23/13 - Part of a week long winter trip to Chicago Basin. Backpacked in from train drop at Cascade. Climbed via the South Face, some variation of the standard route. Zipped up Windom afterwards.

MadGrad96

MadGrad96 - Nov 1, 2013 7:55 am

Sunlight

I love Chicago Basin!

Viewing: 1-20 of 115
Return to 'Sunlight Peak' main page