Sunrise Ridge (Peak 5539)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.98070°N / 123.4793°W
Additional Information County: Clallam
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5539 ft / 1688 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking at Griff and Unicorn
Looking at Griff and Unicorn from Sunrise Point

Is it an official summit or is it not? According to List of John this point is literally one foot from having enough prominence (399' of prominence) to be an official true Washington summit. If you use the plus minus of 40 feet this is an official summit.  Unfortunately despite the fact this summit does not even have a name and is often bypassed when heading to the summit of Mount Angeles just a mile to the northeast. That despite one of its of its sub peaks does have the name of Alpine Hill. It should be noted that this whole ridge consist the of sub-peaks of Alpine Hill, Sunrise Point and the highest point of the ridge, Sunrise Ridge (Point 5539).

The trail
Looking at the trail looking back at the Olympic Mountains

The journey to get this great highpoint is very worthwhile with views from pretty much start to finish on this high alpine trail. This is definitely a great peak for novice hikers and peak-baggers who are looking for great views without all of the extra effort. Probably the most impressive part of the views is the constant looking at the heart of the Olympics which is south of Sunrise Ridge.

Close up of the Mount Angeles
Close up of the Mount Angeles from the summit of Sunrise Ridge (8/2012)
 


Getting There

VIA HURRICANE RIDGE PARKING AREA: Head up Highway 101 to Port Angeles. Once in downtown Port Angeles make a left onto Hurricane Ridge Road. Follow Hurricane Ridge Road past the park entrance to end which is the Hurricane Ridge Parking Area.  

Route

Map of the Route
Map of the Route

From the parking area head up the trail up through the Alpine Hill Ski Area. From there you want to stay on the trail through the ups and down all the way until you reach the highest point on the ridge which will have a great close-up view of Mount Angeles. The total distance on this route is roughly 3 miles and 500 feet of elevation gain.

From Sunrise Point
From Sunrise Point looking at Sunrise Ridge

Red Tape

Olympic National Park Fees are required at this park. Expect to pay $20 to get in the through the gate.

When to Climb

This peak can be climbed during any time that the Alpine Hill Ski Area is closed. It is usually snow-free from July to October.

Camping

Provided you are right at the summit it is Leave No Trace. If you get closer to the parking area you be right by a ski area called Alpine Hill. There camping is prohibited.

External Links

Sunset Ridge (5539) List of John

Basic Information for Olympic National Park



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.