Suva Planina

Suva Planina

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 43.10490°N / 22.10340°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Big Wall
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5938 ft / 1810 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Suva Planina

SUVA PLANINA (Dry Mountain) is one of the most impressive mountain ranges in Serbia. The massif of Suva Planina is 35 km long and it is placed on SE from Niš town and it stretches in NW-SE direction as a last W part of BALKANA system which after that continue to the RODOPI mountain system. The highest peak of Suva Planina range is Trem (1810 m) peak with its high and impressive vertical rocky NE wall dominate more than 1000 m above the Kosmovac village.

The north side of Dry mountain is very steep with deep crags and rich beech forest below. On the other hand, south side of Dry Mountain is smooth, but bare-wooded. Farther east of Trem peak (1810m) outspreads the large high-lend plateau. Composition of Dry Mountain is primary lime stoned and most of the mountain range above 1500m is dry without any water.

Suva Planina

The highest peaks of Suva Planina are:


  • Trem (1810 m)

  • Kostadinica (1735 m)

  • Đorđina Čuka (1735 m)

  • Golemo Stražište (1714 m)

  • Sokolov Kamen (1523 m)

  • Pasarelo (1521 m)

  • Tromka (1438 m)

  • Divna Gorica (1389 m)

  • Golaš (1378 m)

  • Kolov Kamen (1361 m)

  • Mosor (985 m)


Two peaks are most impressive and recognizable. That are Trem and Sokolov Kamen which are separated and connected with Devojački Grob (1311 m) pass.

Trem

In last weekend in February there is a mountaineering event called "Zimski uspon na Trem" (Winter climb on Trem), that gather over 600 mountaineers from all parts of Balkan. It is also the biggest Balkan’s mountain winter event. It started in 1997 and it is under the organization of Mountaineering club "Železnicar" from city of Niš.

At the foot of Suva Planina is beautiful Jelašnica Gorge which is protected as a natural's beauty.

Getting There

Suva Planina

If you want to visit Suva Planina you should first reach the Niš town, which is placed in the South Serbia.

By plane:

- To Belgrade/Beograd airport, distance about 280 km from Suva Planina mountain.
- To Niš airport closer to Suva Planina than Belgrade airport.
Than, from Belgrade or from Niš town - to Suva Planina by bus or car.

Also, everything about flights and tickets you can check on JAT Airways web site.

By bus:

- Belgrade - Niš, (about 250 km, 5 hours by bus)
(than from Niš to Niška Banja Spa with another local bus, from where you can get a taxi to Bojanine Vode mountain hut, more 30 km)

Jelašnica Gorge

By car:

- Belgrade-Niš-Niška Banja Spa-Bojanine Vode hut (280 km)

Suva Planina is connected with the main transport routes in Serbia. The nearest airport is in Niš town.

Camping

Mosor peak

Bojanine Vode HutStudenac Hut

The optimal place to stay is Studenac mountain hut in Bojanine Vode, which is placed below the northern side of Sokolov Kamen peak.

The hut has a few rooms and apartments, hot water in the bathroom and also food service (cooking meal).
In the hut you can buy nonalcoholic beverages, beer and mineral water.

Suva Planina

Red Tape

No extra fees.

Map

Suva Planina mapSuva Planina map

Weather Info

Information about the weather in Niš town you can find on VREME YUBC NET web site.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.