Swim time.

Swim time.

As the Zion Narrows canyon walls begin to walk in from either side there are more and more frequent places which require entering the water to continue. Some times the water is shallow... other times the water turns out to be much deep than expected. I found this particular crossing a bit deeper than expected and required a bit of swimming.. Great Canyon. A must for all who travel to Zion National Park.
RSBARNES
on Sep 14, 2008 3:49 pm
Image Type(s): Canyoneering
Image ID: 442581

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
saussie

saussie - Jan 10, 2009 12:53 am - Hasn't voted

I live right next to Zion

for a year now and I haven't done the Narrows. I'm kicking myself for not getting to it this summer, but hopefully will this coming one. After looking at this picture though, I know I will be completely engulfed by water... I'm only 5'3 and you look like a tall guy! I take it you went all the way through from the top down? Overnight or day trip? I'd like to overnight it when I do it, take my sweet time, but will probably just have to day-trip it because of permits and what not.

RSBARNES

RSBARNES - Jan 10, 2009 4:50 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I live right next to Zion

You like there... oh... you should get on that.. I have a place in St. George. Love the Utah area. Wow..

So yeah. 5'3" .I'm about 6' 2".... you will be doing a few swims. I have done the trip several times as a one day "event" . We never got a permit (either because of weather or just none of us wanted to get up early and go to the ranger station) So we just hiked bottom to top and then back to the bottom. A bit longer trip but you get to enjoy the perspective of going both directions. (this most recent trip this past summer went nice.. we took wet suits and floated down the canyon.. many places bumping and banging our butts all the way in the shallow water.) It is not a bad option to hike up from the bottom since the top 3-4 miles are not the most beautiful part of the hike. Well hope you get to knock it out this next year. Seattle has me looking at swim time right now :) Thanks for stopping by.
Rich.

RSBARNES

RSBARNES - Apr 11, 2010 3:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I live right next to Zion

Did you get your trip in? I was browsing through the photos and was wondering if you got into the narrows last summer?
Cheers.

saussie

saussie - Apr 25, 2010 5:12 pm - Hasn't voted

I did do the Narrows,

but it was a work trip ("team-building exercise" or what not) and the water was very muddy (storms the day before) and so it was quite slow to move since you couldn't see your steps. It was the middle of the week and still there were hoards of people, so I haven't exactly been itching to get back. Been staying away from Zion for the most part. There are so many hidden gems around here that need exploring, so I've been giving them my attention instead!

Viewing: 1-4 of 4