Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.14390°N / 73.9358°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3822 ft / 1165 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This 3,800 foot forested peak lies about a mile or so west of Tabletop. It's initials "T R" stand for Teddy Roosevelt, the president after whom the mountain was named. Though the reference is obscure, Roosevelt visited and vacationed in the Adirondacks on occasion. He is said to have been climbing Mount Marcy at the time when President McKinley was assasinated, though he was probably at a hunting club near Upper Works.

The peak can be seen as a humbled lump from many of the high peaks in the area, but is often masked by the significantly larger mountains surrounding it. It is a fun mountain to do when you are looking for something new to try. It's a quick jaunt from Marcy Dam, Indian Falls or Tabletop.

Getting There

The best way to go is from the Van Hoevenberg trail. Get there anyway you like. I did it on a return from Tabletop (basically a west heading).

At a point where the trail turns sharply to an east-west direction for a stretch (at about el. 3,400 ft), head directly west up this forested peak. It's a short bushwhack and not too unpleasant, though it is thicker at the top.

Red Tape

The usual High Peaks regulations - a requirement that you fill out a form/permit and a high assurance that there will be none at the trailhead.

Camping

Marcy Dam is the closest camping area.

External Links

Topo Map

Article about preserving the area surrounding Roosevelt's hunting club.