Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.57861°N / 6.80810°E
Additional Information County: Ubaye
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8704 ft / 2653 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tête du Sanglier m. 2653

 

The Ubaye area (Alpes de Haute Provence) offers quite an interesting climbing ground, both on the limestone towers located near Barcelonnette, as Chapeau de Gendarme and Pain de Sucre, and on the quartzite peaks belonging to the Chambeyron Group and lying nearby the nice hamlet of Maljasset. Tête du Sanglier - meaning Wild Boar Head - is one of these latter, an imposing rocky castle overlooking the road joining St. Paul sur l’Ubaye and the small village of Maljasset (D25). The mountain main interests are both climbing and hiking. In fact the trail along the Normal route to the summit is a pleasant hike, giving an interesting experience inside the beautiful Vallon des Houerts and allowing to take some magnificent views over the beautiful surroundings. This peak shows an interesting climbing-ground on two main faces, where we can find some interesting climbing routes: the East face - overlooking the road D 25 running along the Ubaye Valley, nearby the small village of La Barge – has both equipped and trad routes, while the wild South Face – requiring a longer approach – has exclusively trad routes.

Tête  du Sanglier
Tête du Sanglier
Tête du Sanglier the environment
The fine milieu of Tête du Sanglier

Getting There

The starting point is the road D25 running in the Ubaye Valley, 500 meters befor getting the small hamlet of La Barge. The main towns in the area are Barcelonnette and Guillestre.

Road Approach

- From Barcelonnette follow the road D902 in the Ubaye Valley towards Saint Paul sur l'Ubaye; getting to Saint Paul, leave the road D902 and follow on the right the road D25 crossing Saint Paul, continuing up the valley and getting to La Barge (mt. 1877)- The trail to the East Face climbing routes starts 500 meters before getting to La Barge, while the trail both to the Normal Route and the South Face routes starts about 2 km. before La Barge.

- From Guillestre follow the road D902 rising to Col de Var, then descending to Saint Paul sur l'Ubaye; getting to Saint Paul, leave the road D902 and follow on the right the road D25 crossing Saint Paul, continuing up the valley and getting to the small hamlet of La Barge (mt. 1877)- The trail to the East Face climbing routes starts 500 meters before getting to La Barge, while the trail both to the Normal Route and the South Face routes starts about 2 km. before La Barge.

Hiking

Tête du Sanglier Normal Route

Summit altitude: m. 2653
Altitude Gain: 800 m.
Starting point: Parking des Houerts

The mountains round about Tete de Sanglier
The mountains round about Tete de Sanglier
Hiking inside Houerts Valley
Hiking in the Vallon des Houerts

 

It’s possible to reach the top of Tete du Sanglier following its Normal Route, which rises along the first part of the Houerts Valley: a simply but satisfactory hike, getting to the summit and allowing some magnificent views. The starting point of this trail is situated along D25 about 2 kilometers before La Barge village (Parking des Houerts). From the little parking get back a bit along the road, reaching the starting point of Houerts Valley path (signposts). The well worn path rises with several hairpins overcoming the beginning slopes and entering the Houerts Valley. When the track is getting to a huge steep and red wall rising on your left-hand side – it’s the fine North-East face of Sommet Rouge (Red Summit) – you must leave the main path, turning to right and following a track rising steeply along stones and grassy slopes. A final scramble on an easy ridge heading left is leading to the summit.

Tete de Sanglier Near the top with Sommet Rouge in front of
Tete de Sanglier: near the top with Sommet Rouge in front of

Routes overview

Routes overview (French Scale)

EAST FACE

- Approach from road D25

From left to right:

*** Les Jardins d’Amandine TD, 6a max, 5c obbl. 350 m
*** Les Diedres D+, 5, 350 m
*** Au delà du Délire (Beyond the delirium) D+, 5, 160 m
*** A l’ombre du Mélèze en fleur (Below the larchs in bloom) TD+, 6b max, 6a obbl., 160 m
*** Fleurs de Rocaille (Flowers of the Stones) TD-, 6a max, 5+ obbl. , 150 m

Tete de Sanglier Les jardins d'Amandine
Reddish quartzite on "Les jardins d'Amandine"
Tête du Sanglier  Les jardins d'Amandine
Beta of "Les jardins d'Amandine"

SOUTH FACE

– Approach from Houerts Valley

From left to right:

*** Les Emabarres D, 5a obbl., 350 m
*** A la Recherce du Thon Perdu TD-, 5+ obbl., 350 m
*** Les Retrouvailles D+, 5+ obbl., 350 m
*** L’Innomeé TD, 5 obbl., 350 m
*** Isabellarium TD, 5+ obbl., 350 m

Tete de Sanglier Les jardins d'Amandine final walk towards the top
Les jardins d'Amandine: final walk towards the top

 

Sunrise from Tête du Sanglier
Sunrise from Tête du Sanglier
Tete de Sanglier Les jardins d'Amandine
Les jardins d'Amandine

Red Tape

No particular restrictions in climbing and hiking

Where to stay

There is a campsite open in summer in Saint Paul sur l'Ubaye. In the hamlet of Maljasset in Maljasset Hut (French Alpine Club - CAF, 1905 m), 60 beds, always open, phone 04 92 84 34 04 or in Gite d’etape “La Cure”. In Pont d’Estreche Maison d’hotes “La Posada”.

When to climb and hike

Best season goes from June to October

Meteo

METEO FRANCE
METEO ALPI

External Links

REFUGE CAF MALJASSET

Guidebooks and maps

Tête du Sanglier map

Guidebooks

"La grimpe en Ubaye" by Colin Michel CAF

“Alpes du Sud, Provence" by Hervé Galley - Editions Olizane - Geneve (Switzerland)

Maps

Map IGN TOP 25 3538 ET, Aiguilles de Chambeyron



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.