Takhte Rostam Comments

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Sep 20, 2008 12:58 pm - Voted 10/10

and does Simurg the Bird

have its officially named seat on one of these peaks too? :)

Generally is it known what may be the connection between the epic legends and the specific peaks - are the mountains already a part of the legend, or it is just latter-years romanticism when every lake and peak were given newfangled poetically-sounding names?

nader

nader - Sep 20, 2008 4:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: and does Simurg the Bird

Very good question, one that I often ask myself.

As you probably know, Rostam was the epic hero of the pre-islamic Persian Empire. He has been idolized in the great book of poems "Shahnameh" by the poet "Ferdowsi" who revived Persian Language after Iran was invaded by the Arabs and Islam was brought to Iran.

There is much reference to the Alborz Mountains in Zoroastrian Religion, Shahnameh and other pre-Islamic sources. I do not know what, if anything, the names of these peaks in those days used to be. I suspect that many of the smaller peaks were named by more modern climbers when mountain climbing started to become popular in Iran say 75 years ago.

These mountains are currently known as "The Takhte Soleyman Mountans" (Solomon's Throne). "Soleyman", of course, is an Islamisized version of a Jewish hero. What he had to do with these mountains, is not known. Some people in Iran, who are not happy with the current political state, like to reminisce about the glories of the pre-Islamic days, so they use these kinds of names.

The only "Simorgh" that I know of is a shelter on the west face of Mt. Damavand.

nader

nader - Sep 21, 2008 1:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: and does Simurg the Bird

Speaking of Simorgh, check out the Simorgh Shelter here:

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=444951&context_id=444946

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Takhte Rostam' main page