Tarryall Massif Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
DaveC

DaveC - Feb 14, 2005 8:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

There are TONS of great backpack sites in this area, many of which I've enjoyed and, in fact, created. But know, if you're backpacking in, that THERE IS NO WATER IN HERE. Winter, good luck or one-nighters where you haul a night's worth are your options. The topo shows many 'streams' that might run for a week in April, but don't count on it. Bring water, or go in winter with some extra fuel and melt snow. South Park is a dry, dry place indeed.



Now, my rant on paying to park:



Some years ago (fewer than 10), it was free to park here, as it should be. This is federally designated wilderness, technically illegal to run a business on. About 7 or 8 years ago, the parks service turned the operation of certain campgrounds and day use areas over to private companies (in this case, Canyon Enterprises), because the feds didn't find it profitable to operate a campground.



There happens to be a campground here, so out of the blue, they decided, 'hey, we'll charge to park too, even though parkers are using the wilderness only.'



This is BULLSHIT! Ok, I know, it's only 3 bucks, but it's the principle. I will NOT pay to walk public lands. Canyon Enterprises did not make the road in, they sure as hell don't maintain it, and NOTHING is provided for your 3 bucks. Let 'em charge for the campground and day use area-- they do maintain that. But I'll not pay to backpack the wilderness.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Return to 'Tarryall Massif' main page