Tavaneuse (Roc de)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.25590°N / 6.71950°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7073 ft / 2156 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Roc de Tavaneuse is one of the outstanding mountains between Saint Jean d'Aulps and bondance in the Chablais with the peaks Pointe d'Entre deux Pertuis (2176 m), Pointe de Nantaux (2170 m), Pic de la Corne (2084 m) and Pointe de la Chavache (2080 m).These proud rocky summits contrast happily with the gentle pasture land below.

Roc de Tavaneuse is the highest point of the ridge between Tavaneuse collar (1997 m) in the SE and Savolaire collar (1930 m) in the NW. Five combs surround the Roc. In the north, Savolaire comb, Comb of Tavaneuse, Lake comb. In the south, Brion mountain and Les Vannées.
The northern extension of the Roc falls steep over the valley of Prétairié and is called Le Vétu (1917 m)

The principal appeal of the mountain is the comb of the Tavaneuse lake : the water plan is set like a jewel under the escarpments of the "Pirons" points. When the last snowfields remain, the site is one of the most representative landscape of the Chablais.


Getting There

Start point is the resort Abondance.

Access to Abondance
1) By car:
-From the northern of Europe (Benelux, Germany..), take Metz, Strasbourg, Basel, Berne Lausanne, follow the direction collar of Grand Saint-Bernard and exit Portes du Soleil-Saint-Triphon, at Monthey, take the road of the Pas de Morgins, Châtel...
-Coming from Netherlands, Luxembourg, Metz, direction Nancy, then Épinal, Besançon, Pontarlier, Jougne, Vallorbe, Lausanne
-From England : Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Benelux, take the direction of Reims, Troyes, Dôle, Pontarlier, Vallorbe, Lausanne, follow the direction collar of Grand Saint-Bernard and exit Portes du Soleil-Saint-Triphon, à Monthey, take the road of Pas de Morgins, Châtel..
Other possibility from Dôle, take Poligny, Morbier, Les Rousses, Nyon, Genève, Thonon, départementale n°22 to Abondance...
-From Paris, A6, Macon (A40), Annemasse, Thonon and départementale n°22 to Abondance...*
or Dijon, Dôle, take Poligny, Morbier, Les Rousses, Nyon, Genève, Thonon, départementale n°22 to Abondance..
Other possibility from Dole, take Pontarlier, Vallorbe, Lausanne, follow collar of Grand Saint-Bernard eand exit Portes du Soleil-Saint-Triphon, à Monthey, take the road of the Pas de Morgins, Châtel...

2) By train:
Next station isThonon, 30 km from Abondance,
Next station in Switzerland is Aigle .

3) By plane : Geneva-Cointrin airport at 1 hour from Abondance.


Red Tape

No red tape

When To Climb

All the year, in winter with skis

Route Overview

1) Tavaneuse Lake route : from Prétairié
From Tavaneuse collar, east ridge.

2) Savolaire route
- From Prétairié over Savolaire comb
- From Mont d'Evian over Montagne de Brion
From Savolaire collar : east ridge

3) Tavaneuse comb : direct route from Prétairié over Chalets de Tavaneuse.

4) Tavaneuse Collar and E ridge
- From Montriond lake over Chalets de Lens
- From Mont d'Evian or Essert la Pierre over Portes de Lens

5) S ridge from Portes de Lens.

Camping

CAMPING LE PRE * * *
74360 Abondance
Telephone
04 50 73 00 93
Open
20/12 - 30/04 & 15/06 - 15/09
50 places
Altitude
930m

Hut

Refuge des Tinderets - 1500 m -
30 + 10 places,
Accès from Abondance, Plagnes Lake (Map I.G.N. 3528 ET - Morzine).
Tél: 04. 50.81.60.56 (hut), 04 50 73 09 76 or 06 81 06 20 82 (gardian).

Tavaneuse Lake

A typical chablaisian lake, born after the last glaciation : As it is often the case in ranges made from soluble stone, as limestone, the lakes could be build only thanks to the ice age. In fact, the glaciers have rendered the ground watertight because they brought in "glacier flour", a powder that, once wet, is as watertight as clay. Therefore, one can see lakes in places where normally there shouldn’t be one.

Tavaneuse lake is a good example. Even more, because one can see additional signs in the landscape, such as moraines.

Altitude : 1805 m. Area :2,5 ha. Deepth: 5,90 m




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Chablais Massif - GROUPMountains & Rocks