Taygetos (Profitis Ilias)

Taygetos (Profitis Ilias)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.95281°N / 22.34996°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Lakonia
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7897 ft / 2407 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Profitis Hlias (2,405m) is the highest peak of the Taygetos mountain range. It is also the 12th highest peak in Greece and the highest one in the Peloponnese. With relatively easy access and the distinctive pyramid shape, it is a popular summit with hikers, all year round. 
Unnamed ImageThe summit as seen from the village of kardamyli

Getting There

Taygetos lays between Kalamata and Sparti in the southern part of the Peloponnese. Sitting in the middle 'leg' 100km long and 30km wide it is pretty massive. Profitis Hlias lays east of the central massif (see Taygetos main page) just south of Sparti. 

Refuge Access

The main route is the refuge route (east direct) which to access you should drive to Sparti and head south towards Guthio. Exit at the village of Xirokambi and head West. The road is generally good and asphalt until it reaches the forest road towards the refuge. The road continues to be pretty good but it now consists of dirt. Use a GPS to get there since there are many linked roads and you don't want to get lost. 
 

Reaching Sparti or Kalamata

To get to Kalamata or Sparti you could drive from Athens (approx 2h) or fly to Kalamata airport and drive from there.
 

General Access Concerns

If you are going to head into the deeper trailheads it is recommended that you drive or rent a 4x4 car since Peloponnese roads are known to be shit, but you can also hike from trailheads in villages where you won't need a 4x4.

Route(s)

East Direct Route (From Taygetos Refuge)

It is the fastest and easiest route up the mountain. It is around 4.5 hours round trip and 3 hours up. Starting at the refuge at 1550m of elevation the route heads Westwards and starts just behind the refuge. The sign says it's just 2:45h to the summit. First the trail takes one through a nice mellow forest before reaching a steep and rocky outcorp that must be climbed. At this point hikers should be about 30 minutes in. Once above the outcrop the terrain turns into fields of sorts, with large rocks from the mountain above, here walk along the trail North, to North West slowly gaining elevation. After about 1 hour the "Gouves" location should have been reached at 1,860m. It is marked with a wooden sign. 
 
Heading up through the fields below
Heading up through the fields below "Gouves"
"Gouves" (1,860m) with some snow, June 16th
 
The trail is mainly dirt and not that steep with the exception of two or three parts that are quite steep and rocky. The rock traverse after "Gouves" and on the way to "Plakes" is the most exposed section. After this traverse the "Plakes" section start and the trail goes South, and gains elevation faster. "Plakes" is at 1,990 while the entrance of the ridge at the top is "Portes" (Doors) at 2,238m, this should also take about 1 hour. The section is steep throughout and the whole section is on a rock with very good views all around.
 
Descending
Descending "Plakes" with a view of "Sidirokastro"
Visible signs of rockfall on the East face
Visible signs of rockfall on the East face
 
Now from Portes at 2,238m the summit of Profitis Ilias (2,405m) should be visible to ones left (South) as they come up on the ridge. From here it is about 30 minutes to Profitis Ilias (2,405m) but with the trail being very steep and rocky with rock pebbles. The trail is clearly visible but is not very wide. 
 
Profitis Ilias (2,405m) from
Profitis Ilias (2,405m) from "Portes" (2,238m)
A large snow-patch near
A large snow-patch near "Plakes"
 

When to Climb

The mountain is summited year-round although you will be needing winter gear to summit during the cold months. During the summer there is the 'Profitis Hlias day' where many people summit the mountain and stay at the summit and party. 

Camping

You can like many people do camp at the summit and enjoy the sunrise. The summit has a small church built by rocks as a wind cover where you can camp. There are also many wind walls throughout the summit where you can camp. There are many people climbing and camping during the weekends. Most people go there to see,

The Pyramid Shadow

An effect that happens while the sun sets or rises due to the pyramid shape of the summit, where the shadow cast by the peak is a perfect triangle projected onto the ground.
Unnamed Image
The shadow seen during the sunset
Unnamed Image
The sadow during the sunrise with view of Xalasmeno

Summit Views

The Summit of Taygetos offers insane views, here is a time-lapse of a sunset from the summit and a 360-degree pic.

 

Weather

 
 

External Links

All the marked trails on the mountain: http://www.hellaspath.gr/index.php?p=2&m=1&mntid=54
 


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

PindosMountains & Rocks
 
TaygetosMountains & Rocks