Tecolote Peak Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.19740°N / 106.398°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Facts

Distance - 0.9 miles (one-way to the summit)
Distance - 2.4 miles (for the entire loop)
Trailhead Elevation - 8540'
Summit Elevation - 8835'
Gain - 300' (just to the summit and back)
Gain - 500' (for the entire loop)

Approach

See the "Getting There" section on the Tecolote Peak main page. Head east from the parking area past the bathrooms.
Parking AreaThe beginning of the trail

Route Description

Along the ridgeThe upper trail
Tecolote Peak TrailThe lower trail

The standard (and only) Tecolote Peak trail is simple and straight-forward. Park at the Dry Camp pull-off of Route 536. Hike east past the bathrooms and a sign that points the way. There is a second sign with mileages that are not exact but are fairly close. Continue up this well maintained trail through a few switchbacks. Once it gains the ridge the hike is flat and you can catch a few views of the surrounding area. At 0.9 miles there is a small rocky clearing on the hiker's left. If you hike about 10 feet off the trail onto the rocks of this clearing you will be on the summit. Although the summit may not be impressive the trail continues offering nice views of the area. 0.2 miles after the summit the beginning of a loop starts. This is a short (~1/4 mile) loop on the south side of the mountain.

Essential Gear

Typical Gear for a short hike.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.