Terms of Service

Welcome! By using the SummitPost ("SummitPost", "SP", "us", "our" or "we") website, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions (the "Terms of Service") when on summitpost.org website and various related services (together, the "Site").

1. Privacy Policy

This Privacy Policy describes how SummitPost collects, uses and discloses the personal information we receive through your use of the Site. 

Information We Receive

When you use the Site or register to create an account with the Site and become a Member, you provide us with, or grant us access to, or permission to obtain, personal information that may be used to identify or contact you (“Personal Information”), such as your email address, personal name, phone number, pictures of you, mailing address and your billing information (for example, credit card number and billing address). In addition, we may receive other information that you provide to us, such as information that we receive through your use of SummitPost, such as your profile details, comments, postings or other content you provide. You realize that your use of SummitPost may result in the sharing of information that is instantly known to anyone.

Content that you share when you use SummitPost may have metadata (data that may not be obvious to you but consists of information about your content). If you do not want us to store metadata, please remove the metadata before uploading the content.

How We Use Information We Receive

SummitPost may use the information we receive: (i) for the purposes for which you specifically provided the information, (ii) to contact you or to provide customer service about our products and services, (iii) to enhance existing features or develop new features, products, and services, (iv) to provide advertisers and other third parties with aggregate (non-personally identifiable) information about our user base and usage patterns, and (v) to allow us to target advertising to our users using specifications provided to us by third-party advertisers.

SummitPost Members

When you register an account with us as a Member, we will display some of your personal information on your profile page and elsewhere on the Site. For example, users of SummitPost will see your profile picture, name, your Member status, images you upload, pages you create, your lists, and most anything you post on the Site. Providing your personal information is voluntary and should correlate with the degree of interaction you want to have with others.

By providing SummitPost your email address, you agree to our using your email address to send any notices required by law or other notices relating to SummitPost's policies in lieu of postal mail. In addition, we may use your email address to send you notices about important changes to SummitPost, new services, or special offers. You may opt-out of receiving these types of emails by unsubscribing or emailing us at webmaster@summitpost.org.

We will not share your personal information outside of SummitPost unless you have consented to have your personal information shared with a company that is not affiliated with us. If we do share your personal information with another company not affiliated with us, that information is subject to that company’s privacy policies. However, we may disclose and use personally identifiable information in special circumstances where it is necessary to enforce our Terms of Use or when we, in good faith, believe that the law requires us to do so.

We also use your personal information to contact you with SummitPost newsletters, marketing or promotional materials, and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications or via the "My Account" section of the Site. (See "Changing or Deleting Information" below.)

Business Transfers

In the event that SummitPost is involved in a bankruptcy, merger, acquisition, or sale of assets, your information may be sold or transferred as part of that transaction. This Privacy Policy will apply to your information as transferred to the new entity.

Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement

SummitPost cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to the government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of SP or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.

Changing or Deleting Your Information 

All Members may review, update, correct, or delete the Personal Information in their Account by contacting us or via the "Your Profile" section of the Site. If you completely delete all such information, then your Account may become deactivated. If you would like us to delete your Account in our system, please contact us at webmaster@summitpost.org with a request that we delete your Personal Information from our database. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.

International Transfer

Your information may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. If you are located outside the United States and choose to provide information to us, SummitPost transfers Personal Information to the United States and processes it there. Your consent to this Privacy Policy followed by your submission of such information represents your agreement to that transfer.

Advertising

SummitPost participates in the Digital Advertising Alliance’s (DAA) Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising. For more information please visit http://www.aboutads.info.

We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website or use our apps. These companies may use information about your visits to this and other web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies for interest-based advertising, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website or use our apps. These companies may use information about your visits to this and other web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies for interest-based advertising, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/.

How to opt-out http://optout.networkadvertising.org/#!/

Cookies

SP uses third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Website. These companies may use cookies to gather information (not including your name, address email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.

In addition, we use cookies on our website for the purpose of enabling an analysis of the surfing behavior of our site visitors.

Processing is based on § 15 (3) TMG and Art. 6 (1) lit. f DSGVO from the legitimate interest in the above-mentioned purposes. 

The data collected by you in this way will be pseudonymized by technical means. An assignment of the data to your person is therefore no longer possible. The data will not be stored by you together with other personal data. You have the right, for reasons arising from your particular situation, to object at any time to the processing of personal data concerning you, based on Art. 6 (1) f DSGVO. Cookies are stored on your computer. Therefore, you have full control over the use of cookies. By selecting appropriate technical settings in your internet browser, you can prevent the storage of cookies and transmission of the data contained therein. Already saved cookies can be deleted at any time. We point out, however, that you may not be able to use all the features of this website in full.  

The links below will tell you how to manage (and disable) cookies on major browsers:
Chrome Browser: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=en
Internet Explorer: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17442/windows-internet-explorer-delete-manage-cookies
Mozilla Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en/kb/cookies-release- and Reject
Safari: https://support.apple.com/en-us/guide/safari/manage-cookies-and-website-data-sfri11471/mac

Use of Google Analytics

We use the Google Analytics web analytics service provided by Google Inc. (1600 Amphitheater Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA; "Google"). Data processing is for the purpose of analyzing this website and its visitors. For this purpose, Google will use the information obtained on behalf of the operator of this website to evaluate your use of the website, to compile reports on website activity and to provide other services related to website activity and internet usage to the website operator. The IP address provided by Google Analytics as part of Google Analytics will not be merged with other Google data. 

Google Analytics uses cookies that allow you to analyze the use of the website. The information generated by the cookies about your use of this website is usually transmitted to a Google server in the USA and stored there. IP anonymization is activated on this website. As a result, your IP address will be shortened beforehand by Google within member states of the European Union or in other contracting states of the Agreement on the European Economic Area. Only in exceptional cases will the full IP address be sent to a Google server in the US and shortened there. Your data may be transmitted to the United States. There is an adequacy decision by the European Commission for data transfers to the US. Processing is based on Art. 6 (1) lit. You have the right, for reasons arising from your particular situation, to object at any time to the processing of personal data concerning you, based on Art. 6 (1) f DSGVO. You can prevent the storage of cookies by selecting appropriate technical settings of your browser software; however, please note that if you do this, you may not be able to use all the features of this website to the fullest extent possible. You may further prevent the collection by Google of the data generated by the cookie and related to your use of the website (including your IP address) as well as the processing of this data by Google by using the browser plug-in available under the following link. in download and install [https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en ]. To prevent Google Analytics tracking across devices, you can set an opt-out cookie. Opt-out cookies prevent future collection of your data when you visit this website. You must opt-out on all systems and devices used to make it work. 
 
Links 
 
SummitPost has links to other websites. Please be aware that SP is not responsible for the privacy practices of any other sites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our site and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personal information.
 
Changes to this Policy 
 
We may change or revise this Privacy Policy from time to time. The most current version of the policy will govern our use of your information and will be at https://www.summitpost.org/tos. You acknowledge and agree that it is your responsibility to review the Privacy Policy from time to time and to familiarize yourself with any changes. Changes to this Privacy Policy are effective when they are posted on this page.

If you have any questions about this Privacy Policy, please contact us at webmaster@summitpost.org or:

SummitPost.org
PO Box 403
Crystal City, MO 63019

This Privacy Policy was last updated: June 15, 2020

2. Copyright Policy

No copyrighted material may be uploaded to SP without the permission of the copyright owner. This includes images, text, and all other types of intellectual property ("Content"). SP members are responsible for obtaining the necessary permission before posting any copyrighted material. If permission is granted by the copyright owner, the SP member must credit the owner with a link or some other appropriate type of reference.No material or content may be reproduced from this website and used on other websites, or for personal or financial gain, without the express permission of its owner.

3. Reporting Copyright Violations

SP respects intellectual property rights and is committed to removing unauthorized material when it is discovered. If you believe that any of your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide the SP webmaster and the infringing SP member with the following information:
 
  • A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed.
  • A detailed and precise description of the location of the infringing material on SP.
  • Your full name, e-mail address, mailing address, and telephone number.

4. Grant of License

SP claims NO ownership of any Content submitted, posted or displayed by SP members. SP members or a third party licensor, as appropriate, retain all patent, trademark, and copyright to any Content. By posting Content to SP, you grant SP a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free license to reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, and otherwise use, with or without attribution such Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing and promoting SP. SP reserves the right to syndicate Content submitted, posted or displayed by you and use that Content in connection with any of the services offered by SP. This license terminates when such Content is deleted from SP.

5. Editorial Control

SP staff maintains the right to perform edits on your submitted Content for the purpose of correcting factual errors, removing copyright violations, and changing or deleting any Content that is otherwise in violation of SP policies.
 
The SP website consists of "objects" (eg Mountains, Albums, Articles, Lists) contributed by members. Each "object" in SP has at least one"maintainer" - a person authorized to make edits to the object. You become the initial maintainer of objects you contribute. As a maintainer, you are expected to ensure that the information provided for your object is useful, complete, accurate, and up-to-date.
 
You acknowledge that objects you contribute may be deleted or transferred to another maintainer in accordance with SP policies. You agree that in the event of a transfer, the new maintainer may modify the material that you have contributed.
 
When you make contributions to an existing object, you are authorizing that object's maintainer (and future maintainers) to incorporate, modify,or reject your contribution as he or she sees fit.
 
You retain your copyright in your contributions, subject only to the editorial controls described here.

6. Responsibility and Liability

SP does not guarantee the accuracy or quality of any posted Content. Under no circumstances shall SP be liable for any Content, including, but not limited to, the subject matter of any Content, any errors or omissions in any Content, or for any loss, injury, or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content available on SP.

7. Appropriate Conduct

You understand that by using SP, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent, or objectionable. You agree that you are responsible for your own conduct and Content while using SP and for any consequences thereof. You agree to use SP only for purposes that are legal, proper and in accordance with these Terms of Service and any applicable policies or guidelines. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using SP, you will not:
  • Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others
  • Post any inappropriate, defamatory, infringing, obscene, or unlawful Content
  • Post any Content that promotes pyramid schemes, chain letters or disruptive commercial messages or advertisements, or anything else prohibited by law or these Terms of Service. Commercial advertisements are not welcome on SummitPost and are usually deleted quickly. This includes guiding services and other climbing-related enterprises. Recommendation and/or listing of available services or products does not necessarily constitute a commercial advertisement. If you stand to make money from someone acting on your post, it is probably going to be deleted. Some leeway is given to members making significant contributions to SP.
  • Impersonate another person or entity, or falsify or delete any author attributions
  • Interfere with or disrupt SP services or servers
  • Create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretenses