Terrapin Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-3 of 3

wesabrewer - Feb 9, 2015 6:15 pm Date Climbed: Feb 8, 2015

Terripin Mtn  Sucess!

I haven't Hiked this mountain since 2011, it used to be a favorite of mine because of the difficulty. Before when I hiked it the trail was hard to find at time, the yellow blazes were pretty much gone at most points. But, there has been a fair amount of maintenance on the trail recently. At the parking area/trailhead there is a covered kiosk with a topo map of the area and the different trails highlighted. A small plaque is on the bottom of the kiosk saying it was placed there as an Eagle Scout project. A little further along the trail there is still the cairn indicating that the trail is splitting off left from the logging road. But now, about 50 yards before that split off there is a sign marking that the trails are splitting, at the sign the is where the reed creek trail(5 miles long) splits off to the left then the terrapin mountain trail(3 miles to summit) is straight a little ways. The trail has been cleared out a good bit, but still with very few switchbacks. The yellow blazes look like they were repainted with in the last year or so, and all but one place they are properly painted indicating a turn in the trail.

Conditions this past weekend were absolutely amazing for a day hike. Temps in the mid 60's, but there near the summit there was still some ice on the trail on the shady side of the mountain.

e-doc

e-doc - Jan 27, 2013 10:33 am Date Climbed: Jan 26, 2013

winter hike  Sucess!

Happened to be in area and wanted to find TH for future hike. First drove up 602 to Camping Gap then turned around and drove to TH located Terrapin Mt Rd. Nice hike. A few inches snow with more near summit; places I postholed . Plan to come back and hike cross country up the ridge all way to Apple Orchard.

hightinerary

hightinerary - Aug 9, 2011 10:04 am Date Climbed: Mar 27, 2010

The Terrapin and the Hare  Sucess!

I stood on the summit briefly during the Terrapin Mountain Half Marathon trail race.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Terrapin Mountain' main page