Viewing: 1-20 of 29
12
musicman82

musicman82 - Jun 6, 2010 9:40 am - Voted 10/10

Well said

Great article Mike - thanks for writing this and congrats on the book!

Tim

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 7, 2010 11:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Well said

Hey Tim, thanks. I appreciate you input.

Mike

silversummit

silversummit - Jun 6, 2010 3:58 pm - Voted 10/10

A great read.....

Lots to ponder and much I agree with about writing for SP.

You have much to be proud of and I hope to hike in your mountains someday! Congratulations Mike for a book published and life so richly detailed in your photos!

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 7, 2010 11:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A great read.....

Thanks so much for your compliments. But as to having "much to be proud of," well... I've long been of the opinion that most of what we do is because we can't help it -- both the good and the bad. Therefore, I don't feel "proud" when I've done (accomplished) something good -- a feeling of satisfaction maybe but not proud.

I hope you do make it to the Bitterroots some day. I'm sure you'd enjoy them as much as I do.

Mike

mvs

mvs - Jun 7, 2010 11:09 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent

Teaching yourself HTML, writing a book, what great positive contributions! I also subscribe to the theory that wild places without sufficient "love" (that means people) will be coveted and exploited for profit. Thanks for the inspiring article!

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 7, 2010 11:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent

Thanks for your compliments. I appreciate them.

Now if only more people begin to understand that wild places need more people loving them.

Mike

figurenine

figurenine - Jun 7, 2010 11:59 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks for Everything

As a student at UMT I generally visit the Bitterroot 2 or more times a week. I have to say thanks for all your great articles that have helped me tremendously with trips in the Bitterroot, and given me ideas for trips that I otherwise would have never had. I look forward to picking up your book when I come back in the fall.

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 7, 2010 4:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks for Everything

Hey, thanks for the nice comments. I'm going to be doing a presentation at UM (Missoula) this fall (September 16th) -- part of the Outdoor Lecture Series. Maybe I'll get to meet you there.

Mike

figurenine

figurenine - Jun 8, 2010 12:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Thanks for Everything

I'll definitely be there, I look forward to meeting you.

wyopeakMike

wyopeakMike - Jun 7, 2010 2:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Very well said

Hey Mike, great to hear from you again. I hope you return to this area again some day. Your post is very inspirational, especially to those who also dream about making a guidebook. I have to get a copy of yours and I hope to come visit one day. Have a great summer, Mike

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 7, 2010 4:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very well said

Good to hear from you again, and thanks for your comments. I am going to be over in your area again during July climbing with Bob.

Mike

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 7, 2010 4:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent article.

Thanks. I'm glad you liked the article.

Mike

PAROFES

PAROFES - Jun 7, 2010 3:34 pm - Voted 10/10

Excellent text

Mike, don't worry about the writing, you're good!
Cheers

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 7, 2010 4:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Excellent text

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate them.

Mike

imontop

imontop - Jun 7, 2010 3:50 pm - Voted 10/10

Interesting article

Congrats on the book.

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 7, 2010 4:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting article

Thanks. I'm happy you found the article interesting. That's what life is all about - interesting.

Mike

bakcast

bakcast - Jun 8, 2010 5:45 pm - Hasn't voted

%

I'm wondering, what % of the mountains in your guidebook are in protected wilderness areas?

Thanks,
Brock

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 8, 2010 7:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: %

Brock,

I don't know the exact percent but am sure it is well over 50%. Why do you ask?

Mike

bakcast

bakcast - Jun 10, 2010 8:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: %

Just wondering - I have mixed emotions on guide books & web sites like SP and their real vs. perceived effect on protecting areas that are off the beaten path. I'm pretty certain that a little bit of direction gets people into the hills who may not otherwise go there. I just wonder how much you have to provide to spark that interest and appreciation. After climbing for years in areas where anything and everything had a 'published' route, the last 10 years of exploring in MT have been great for the simple fact that I don't know what I'm up against when I get to the foot of a Mountain. No beta = more adventure and unknown which is exciting to me. Fundamentally that dilemma is the reason I haven't contributed more to the site. Still not sure what side of the fence I fall on as I certainly use the information I can get my hands on.

Don't get me wrong though - I really appreciate your quality posts, exceptional photography and willingness to be open about what the area has to offer. And congratulations - definitely something to be proud of! I hope to run into you in the mountains and look forward to picking up a copy of your book.

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Jun 11, 2010 10:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: %

I believe I know where you're coming from. I also like being alone in the wilderness and mountains. But given the vast area of the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness and how much effort it takes to get "way back", I'm not very concerned about the route information I'm providing bringing many more into the wilderness. It's just too hard to get there.

It seems that more folks do visit the mountains on which I've provided information IF said mountains are close to a trailhead AND easy to climb. But, the mountain summits that require lots of effort to reach are not being visited on an increased basis. I still have those difficult-to-reach summits to myself (and others like me).

I'm guessing that for every 50 or so people who visit one of the "easy" mountains, only one or two will get the bug to explore farther into the wilderness. But what I hope is, that of those 50 people more than one or two will feel a "wilderness experience" and maybe, just maybe, gain a partial understanding of just how important wilderness is to our existence. I want a few other people standing beside me when the time comes to protect those wild places -- and believe me, that time will come.

Mike

Viewing: 1-20 of 29
12
Return to 'Thank You SummitPost' main page