The Brothers from Mt Coe

The Brothers from Mt Coe

The Brothers seen from Mt Coe September 30, 2007 [replaces a very similar shot from October 2003 - this one is a slightly wider view and was taken with a higher-resolution camera] Note the prominent fir waves on South Brother. The phenomenon first attracted scientific notice here and in the nearby Klondike basin, by Caldwell in 1966. (source: Sprugel 1976) Creative Commons License This image is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 License.
nartreb
on Apr 25, 2005 2:37 pm
Image ID: 102304

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
lcarreau

lcarreau - Nov 3, 2007 12:01 am - Voted 10/10

Very cool!

YES, I see the waves. What species of fir? Is this considered to be Krummhotz or stunted growth??? If there were any deer (at all) on the face of this mountain, a person would probably have NO trouble seeing them. THANKS!!

nartreb

nartreb - Nov 3, 2007 7:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very cool!

Some of what's in the foreground would qualify as krummholz, but the waves occur among full-grown trees. It's abies balsamica, balsam fir. There's lots of sign of deer and moose, but I've never seen a deer in fir forest - it's too thick to see and the deer hear you a mile away.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Nov 4, 2007 12:10 pm - Voted 10/10

Thanks for the link

to the krummholz site! Being still relatively new to SP, I hadn't realized there were so many ALBUMS put together. For my enjoyment!!!

The forest where I saw krummholz is in my birth county of Washington state. Specifically, ON the upper elevations of Spray Park,(6,000'), in Mt. Rainier NP. The species were Subalpine fir & Silver fir with a few Mountain Hemlock throw in the mix. My friend has a friend that works at Harvard, but I haven't made it to Boston, yet. Thank you, nartreb!

Did you know that moose are related to Reindeer???

Tahawus

Tahawus - Aug 15, 2008 6:17 pm - Voted 10/10

There's a View!

So that's the view I missed! Urrrrggghhhh! Better hike it again on a sunny day.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4