The Catacombs

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.54171°N / 120.52102°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.7 (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Fun climb with a short approach. See image for latter half of the route.

The Catacombs
The latter half of the route. (Red is the climbing route, Purple is the rappel route we used)

Getting There

From the parking lot, enter the park and make your way right toward Orchard Rock. Once you reach the west side of Orchard Rock, head uphill toward the SE side of Martian Tower. 

Route Description

The route starts off with a traverse to the right toward the first bolt then proceeds upwards. This initial section is pretty vertical before hitting an early crux that is "reachy" if you're short. After that, it traverses to the left along a ramp before hitting one of two chimneys. Ascend either chimney and you will come to another ramp on the left which will lead to bolted anchors. The rappell route down is another climbing route called 'Graham Cracker' (5.10c) which has old, rusty bolts so I would only advise climbing it from a top rope if you want to send it. You may need to split this route into two pitches due to how it zig-zags. Be aware of the rope drag potential.

Essential Gear

A standard rack would be more than sufficient.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.