Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Alamkuh

Alamkuh - Sep 4, 2007 10:03 am - Voted 10/10

Nice ...

Thanks for Page , Good Trip Report , Good luck ...

mvs

mvs - Sep 4, 2007 11:14 am - Voted 10/10

good tr!

"and I know who's the one who has to drive the car." - so true! That happens to me as well...

It's hard to believe how cold it was, looking at those pictures with sun and blue sky!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Sep 4, 2007 2:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: good tr!

On the summit in the "windschatten" of the chapel it was as hot as the pictures seem to claim. But I learned a lot about wind-chill on that day. Plus - that island summits are much tougher to climb than any peak in the Alps in the same category. But I knew that, of course. One tends to forget...

mvs

mvs - Sep 4, 2007 3:43 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: good tr!

Why are they harder (in general)...do you start near sea level, so you really have 2000+ meters to gain?

I have relatives on the Big Island in Hawaii...I've been fantasizing about walking out their door at sea level with some overnight gear, and just following the straightest line I can to the summit...about 4000 meters gain! But then it's time for another BBQ :P.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Sep 4, 2007 4:38 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: good tr!

It's the wind - and sudden weather changes, ocurring out of nowhere. You don't see the clouds build up as a front of wet weather arrives. but once it's there quite suddenly clouds develop from the rising wet air. I had my most horrible storms on the islands - Pico Viejo on Tenerife, Volcan Tenguia (400m!!) on La Palma and now this one on Psiloritis.

mvs

mvs - Sep 4, 2007 5:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: good tr!

Extremely interesting...I will remember that, and I hope to explore Crete one day too with my boys :D.

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Sep 5, 2007 2:30 am - Hasn't voted

Re: good tr!

Should be a good idea - but try to go in the spring break - summer is way too hot. Plus you'll have the flora on your side as well

WoundedKnee

WoundedKnee - Sep 6, 2007 11:27 am - Voted 10/10

I remember those winds.

Although we did it in late June and I don't remember seeing any wildflowers. My friend did the hike in flip-flops. His feet looked like hell afterwards...

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Sep 6, 2007 11:43 am - Hasn't voted

Re: I remember those winds.

I guess he won't do this kind of flip-flopping again! But there's worse places on Crete for flip-flopping - Kastro would be one that comes to my mind.

Aaron Dyer

Aaron Dyer - Sep 7, 2007 9:55 am - Voted 10/10

Very nice

Great way to tell a story incorporating the legends of the area.

reinhard2

reinhard2 - Sep 7, 2007 6:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Very well written TR

with superb pics. In your profile you write you are consultant - by reading this extraordinarily styled report one could surmise that you are "consultant" of high school students for ancient greek language and philosophy ...

Btw, island peaks: I remember a night on top of Stromboli, 900m (when this was still allowed). Pitch-dark, one of the rare nights where I literally couldn't even see the hand before my eyes, except for sheet lightning around the horizon. We had no flash light with us, fleeing from the summit in case of a real thunderstrom would hardly have been possible ... But we were spared that.

Cheers
Reinhard

vvujisic

vvujisic - Sep 8, 2007 5:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Great job!

Beautiful page, Gangolf!

Don Nelsen

Don Nelsen - Sep 11, 2007 1:04 am - Voted 10/10

Excellent photos and

and a great page. Thanks for a good read.

dn

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'The Cradle Of The Gods' main page