Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Dave Daly

Dave Daly - Dec 9, 2002 2:51 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Nice pictures. Any books or links? The route you described should be placed under the 'Route' link. The 'Overview' should be a place to sum up highlights, features and personal thoughts.

Cheers,

Dave Daly : )

bigwally

bigwally - Jan 21, 2003 6:12 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Markmay, thank you for getting this information together to share !!!!!

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Oct 13, 2007 11:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Where

did you hear this butte was called "the Fin"? I'm curious... I'd always thought the Fin was just the name of the 5.7 route to the summit - the one you describe in the overview.

markmay

markmay - Oct 16, 2007 2:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Where

I lived there and climbed it a bunch of times over the course of 6 years and we alsways refered to it as "the fin". The book, "a Better Way to Die" may refer to that as the route name. I have not been on it in 3 years, I wonder if anyone has put in any rap anchors on it yet. The last time up I backed up the little loose juniper tree with webbing around the base of an agave!!!

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Oct 17, 2007 10:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Where

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Toula calls "the Fin" that route. Of course, he probably made the name up. What'd you think of the climb? We were planning on doing it over T-giving. 2 short pitches of slabby 5.7 or something like that? I'll check for rap anchors for ya while I'm up there.....

markmay

markmay - Oct 20, 2007 12:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Where

Going up the ramp is way cool. Pitch 1 has some nice exposure. Pitch 2 is slabby with little pro at the start. Fun scramble accross the ridge to the true summit. For some real Sedona route finding fun you should try the Accropolis too, some of the best views around. Sounds like a great way to spend the holiday, have fun!

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Nov 25, 2007 12:10 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Where

Hey dude - that was a great climb. Luckily the dead, shaky tree at the top of P2 has been backed up by a pin... don't know if it was one of your crew or someone else. New bolt at the top of P1, too. Sweet climb - only annoying part was picking the spines out from the prickly pear on the ramp. Hop[e you got to climb something fun over the break.

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Mar 4, 2010 4:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Where?

Don't know how many folks have been up there, though I'd guess more than just us three. Tell you what... let's just call it the Fin. I know the origin, but hell, the thing looks like a fin, right? And thanks for taking over the page - it could use a bit of work. Let me know if you need beta or anything like that, aight?

markmay

markmay - Mar 15, 2010 2:21 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Where

As a local who has hiked and climbed in Sedona with many other locals, we've alway refered to that butte as "the fin". Standing on top of it is a blast!

markmay

markmay - Mar 18, 2010 11:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Wait a minute ...

BTW-I just posted some new pics of the fin including one of the last part of the last part of the 4th class summit ridge.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Mar 19, 2010 8:45 pm - Voted 1/10

Re: Wait a minute ...

What about Walt? He said the page could use some work!

Andinistaloco

Andinistaloco - Feb 18, 2013 8:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Hey dude-

just so you know, the routes (Mars Attacks, Red Planet) listed on this mountain page are actually routes on a totally different peak - UN 5906, a couple miles WNW. I think the confusion is probably because some people call that one "the Fin" as well.

markmay

markmay - Feb 25, 2013 4:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Hey dude-

Thanks for the heads up. I'll let 'em know.

btw. I'm headed to Sedona tomorrow.

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'The Fin (Sedona)' main page