The How To's of A Splattski

The How To's of A Splattski

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Mountaineering

What A Splattski Is

In Idaho we affectionately call it the "Splattski" out of great respect to him, the one we think may have started it. If he didn't actually establish it, well then, he certainly started the trend.

So what is a Splattski? It is a very special type of summit photo where a person in the photo has to be the one taking the shot. Good Splattskis require full single-arm extension, and if the extension is also reflected in the photographer's sunglasses in the photo, even better. If everyone in the photo is framed nicely within the shot and smiles, AND you also have other mountain summits visible in the background of your photo, then you have not just taken a Splattski, you have created a Splattski Masterpiece.

Summit conditions may impact your ability to take a perfect Splattski, but there ARE acceptable variations that can grace your photo albums for generations to come. For example, a double-arm extension Splattski. There are two methods, the single photographer method (self-explanatory), and the team method, where all photo subjects must also hold the camera in full single-arm extension. Do note though, as collectors items, team Splattskis are not as valuable as single photographer Splattskis. Teams tend to block the view of background mountains and it can be difficult to ascertain if the team is even on a summit.

With regard to arm-extension reflection, certain types of goggles reflect better than others, but the need for goggles while taking a Splattski is, in itself, impressive.

Splattskis with subjects donning supplemental oxygen masks are also highly prized, as long as the use of oxygen was actually warranted. That said, Everest Splattskis are not any more impressive than a Splattski of your 88 year-old grandma, on oxygen, on any summit.

The traditional Splattski is taken on a mountain summit. However, you should always consider taking a Splattski anywhere you are with those you love. Love of mountains, love of people...a Splattski IS really all about love.

Splattskis must be taken with regard to safety. A frostbitten Splattski subject, or taking unnecessary risks to take a Splattski, is frowned upon.

The photo accompanying this article is of, and taken by, THE Splattski (do note, arm extension, reflection, framing, mountain background, summit location, smiling subjects).

What A Splattski Is Not

So there is no confusion, a Splattski is NOT a photo taken on a mountain summit using a tripod or any other stationary object.

A Splattski is also NOT a photo on a mountain summit of a group taken by someone not in the photo.

Glasses or goggles are NOT required.

Getting personal, if you are, shall we say, gifted, with long arms, you may NOT have to use full extension in taking your Splattski, but it is highly encouraged that you do so, in keeping with tradition.

A Splattski is NOT a forged or altered work.

In Summary

The Splattski is continually evolving and creativity is encouraged. With Splattski in the above photo, is Steve who set up the Splattski SummitPost page for everyone's Splattskis, at my suggestion.

Who am I? Well, I am NOT Splattski. I am merely a humble mountaineer inspired to spread the word. This Good News.

YOU no longer have to suffer the trauma of not having a summit photo to document your solo peaks.

YOU no longer have to be the one "taking the photo" but not be "in the photo."

YOU too, can relive your summit experience over and over again in pictures.

YOU can leave a legacy of Splattskis....

The world truly is yours. Spread the Good News.

Take Splattskis.

Upload Splattskis.

May the Splattski be with you.

Margoski


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-20 of 32
12
imontop

imontop - Oct 23, 2009 11:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Muscle tee

I think that the dudes muscle tee definately adds to the "Splattskiness" of the pic. Great article. Learn something new everyday.

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Oct 25, 2009 8:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Muscle tee

Should I take that as a compliment? LOL

imontop

imontop - Oct 26, 2009 8:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Muscle tee

Of course! LOL

lcarreau

lcarreau - Oct 25, 2009 10:23 am - Voted 10/10

Let's not forget when SP's

"women folk" ADD there signature manuvers (woman-uvers) to the
picture !!!

It's enough to make a grown man crazy!

Mlasky

Mlasky - Oct 25, 2009 7:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Let's not forget when SP's

I'm pretty sure we would need to see a Splattski woman-uver to document it's existence and include it in the criteria. I for one have been trying to come up with a good idea for one. Everything I have thought of i would probably get hurt trying to do... lol :-)

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Oct 25, 2009 8:39 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Let's not forget when SP's

Oh, Larry and I could think of many a good idea...LOL

lcarreau

lcarreau - Oct 25, 2009 9:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Let's not forget when SP's...

Yep, I'm sure you could, Steve!

I'm running DRY on ideas. I need a change of scenery; from
rattlesnakes to Idaho smiles, for crying out loud!

: ))

Tom Kenney

Tom Kenney - Oct 25, 2009 10:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Could I...

Should I... post my own Splattski to this page? Got a classic!

Dean

Dean - Oct 25, 2009 11:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Could I...

You might want to post that pic HERE. Hey, I grew up near Woodland Hills (good ole San Fernando valley)

Deltaoperator17

Deltaoperator17 - Oct 26, 2009 12:42 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Could I...

Post to the Album Splattski, this is your "How To" take splattski type photos

Mlasky

Mlasky - Oct 26, 2009 10:37 pm - Hasn't voted

fixed

I think i made it a little clearer in my article, with another link, where to post the pics.

myles

myles - Oct 26, 2009 2:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Fun stuff

This is fun stuff. Well done!

Mlasky

Mlasky - Oct 26, 2009 10:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank you

Appreciate your kinda words...have a great day....

wyopeakMike

wyopeakMike - Oct 26, 2009 10:07 pm - Voted 10/10

no good remotes

I used to take lots of Splattskis when I was younger with older style cameras, then I was corrupted. Having timers and remotes I started taking very unSplattski summit shots. I ruined many solo moments on great peaks by taking self timer shots. I am ashamed of how many Splattski opportunities I threw away. I live in Wyoming and I can look directly into Idaho from my house, so I am close to the Splattski homeland, I hope I can redeem myself.

Mlasky

Mlasky - Oct 26, 2009 10:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Redeemed

Many have gone to the dark side, technology's force is strong...but don't fret, there is still hope for you. Admitting the problem is the first step, and you have come a long way just doing that. We are so proud. Be shamed no longer, and take a Splattski at your next opportunity. When you post, you will be healed...stay strong until then my friend.

everestdreamz

everestdreamz - Oct 29, 2009 12:11 pm - Voted 9/10

Good Article

Thank you for your good writing and posting...

Mlasky

Mlasky - Oct 29, 2009 1:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Article

thank you for the nice compliment. glad you enjoyed...

BLong

BLong - Oct 30, 2009 10:57 pm - Hasn't voted

hahah

Nice: "That said, Everest Splattskis are not any more impressive than a Splattski of your 88 year-old grandma, on oxygen, on any summit."

Awesome hilarity!

Mlasky

Mlasky - Oct 31, 2009 2:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: hahah

hilarity? It's a fact ;-)

kam6also

kam6also - Nov 2, 2009 2:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Tips

I've found that the best way to take a pic like this is to take the picture upside down. It is a whole lot easier to hold the camera and take the picture and gives you a couple more inches of room...

Viewing: 1-20 of 32
12