the mountain

the mountain

White Princess from a few miles up the Castner. All White Princess pictures I posted were taken by my partners Rusty Meyer and Mike Miller.
colint
on Mar 7, 2007 12:14 am
Image ID: 275898

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Mar 7, 2007 1:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Lovely

mountain!

RobertPetersen11 - Jan 7, 2011 10:05 pm - Voted 10/10

White Princess

A Few Words: In 1952 when I was 19, I got a summer job with USSR&M in the gold fields north of Fairbanks. Met a guy that wanted to climb the White Princess up the Castner Glacier. I had mountaineering experience in Washington State, and we met a third guy and set out for the climb. In 1952 the snout of the glacier was quit close to the road. We slogged up to where I think the Thayer Hut is now, and made base camp. Lots of open cravass area on the glacier with not so much maran on it then. In the course of a few days, we did summit the White Princess as well of a few other high points. I think it was a first assent of WP. There was no evidence of anyone being where our base camp was or at or on the Mt. From pictures I have seen of the Castner Glacier it really looks like it has shrunk. Anyway that was one of the better climbs of my life. Wish I could go back there. You have some great shots of the area that we never got.

colint

colint - Jan 21, 2011 7:43 pm - Hasn't voted

Great

It is a really cool place. Thanks for sharing the story

Viewing: 1-3 of 3