The Needles Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
tarol

tarol - Jan 6, 2006 2:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

When camping at Needles Spring or the dispersed areas along the Lloyd Meadow Road, you will need to have a campfire permit to have a campfire or charcoal barbeque. Also, in mid- to late- summer some years, campfire restrictions may be in place and you may not be allowed to have a campfire in these areas. Check with the Springville or Kernville Ranger Station before you go and pick up a permit there.

tarol

tarol - Aug 22, 2006 3:58 pm - Voted 10/10

More Info on Needles Fire Lookout

Monday and Tuesday are the lookout's days off, also the tower may be closed for visitors during times of fire activity.

The Tower was built in 1937 by the CCC.

ecjoe

ecjoe - May 27, 2008 2:57 am - Hasn't voted

Original Guidebook Available

Stonemasher Rockclimbing Guide to the Kern River Canyon and Environs, by E.C. Joe & Dick Leversee, Copyright 1983 by E.C. Joe & Dick Leversee, All Rights Reserved, 1st edition. 141 pp, topos, is available on CD as an 'eBook' in .pdf format.

http://stores.ebay.com/vertical20

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Oct 17, 2012 12:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Lookout gone...

The page should probably be updated to point out the lookout tower burned and has since been removed (leaving the stairway).

asmrz

asmrz - Jan 3, 2022 4:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Kris Solem's NEW Guidebook


The current guide book as of 2016 is "The Needles Climbing, A Complete Guide" by Kristian Solem, available online. An older guide to the area, "Southern Sierra Rock Climbing: The Needles Area," by Moser, Vernon, and Paul, has been out of print for some time now and is a hard to find item.

Please include the info on the Main Needles page.

Thanks, Alois.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'The Needles' main page