Viewing: 1-13 of 13
jordansahls

jordansahls - Oct 31, 2007 5:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Good stuff.

Those pickets are a bitch, good report!

mauri pelto

mauri pelto - Nov 4, 2007 8:02 am - Hasn't voted

persevere

I see why you named Luna Lake, Lousy Lake in a way, but how could it be more gorgeous. The hike up to Wiley is a bit of a thrash, but early on a dry morning nothing like the torture you describe. Good work overcoming your injuries.

ibndalight

ibndalight - Nov 4, 2007 1:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: persevere

Actually, Luna Lake and Lousy Lake are two separate lakes both are beautiful. If you look at my pic of Luna peak you can see both of them Luna is the higher one Lousy is the lower one

mkpatrick

mkpatrick - Nov 6, 2007 4:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Sweet photos

Amazing area, we spent a week around copper ridge/tapto lakes basin this summer. By the looks of were you went, you must be a little tougher than I am...Cheers.

Murph1 - Nov 7, 2007 10:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Great Accomplishment!

Your story makes me want to pick up that pack and ice axe and head north. From my wanderings in the North Cascades I prefer approaching the Pickets from Sourdough Ridge in the south and down to Luna Lake. Too bad you didn't make it up to the top of Luna. The views from Luna Peak, Jack Mountain or Crater Mountain are considered the best in the Ross Lake area because they are isolated from the mountains around them.
There is one bushwack in the North Cascades to avoid at all costs. Goodell Creek to Newhalen from the Mt. Truimph area is a terror. Two of my climbing companions made the mistake of taking the "short cut" out of the area and spent three days wading in ice cold water, fighting through vine maple, devils club, and nearly drowning forcing a crossing of the creek in July runoff. Congratulations on your special mountaineering venture!

Ragu

Ragu - Nov 8, 2007 2:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Louise - Lousy?

Nice report, and good job getting through some of the most rugged country in the lower 48! And in plastic boots as well - a true masochist! That trip has all the North Cascades has to offer. I'm curious where you got the name for Louise Lake? All the material that I have ever read refers to that lake as Lousy (Beckey and maps).

ibndalight

ibndalight - Nov 8, 2007 2:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Thanks for the Beta

Hey thanks for the Beta i had no idea how to spell it. Its corrected in the trip report now. Thanks

dayinthelife

dayinthelife - Nov 8, 2007 6:25 pm - Voted 9/10

pickets trip

Well, thanks for a great report, and fine pics. What really struck me is how much the glaciers have receded since climbing there in 1968. I'd say they're about half the size we encountered. The rockfall you experienced demonstrates that the melting hasn't been a plus for climbing. Great to read and be reminded of one of the most remote alpine gems in the lower 48.

Murph1 - Nov 10, 2007 12:51 am - Hasn't voted

Lousy Lake

My take on the name comes from the fact that those first climbers in the area in the 1950's found there is no good campsite near it. It is a pretty barren place and the water is silted. Luna Lake has a much better feel to it.

CheesySciFi

CheesySciFi - Nov 10, 2007 8:13 pm - Voted 10/10

Good report

Sorry to hear about the slide alder and devils club that you've got in the Evergreen State. Out here in the east, greenbrier, poison ivy, blackberry bushes and other various and sundry hostile flora make summer bushwhacking in the Appalachians a dubious proposition.

Eleutheros

Eleutheros - Nov 10, 2007 10:32 pm - Voted 10/10

A Teaser

I now have a great desire to punish myself in the Picket Range thanks to your vivid imagery. Glad you got out safe.

mvs

mvs - Nov 12, 2007 7:24 am - Voted 10/10

way to..

way to get in there to the deep wilderness! The glacier on the right side of the N Buttress of Fury looks smaller than it did just 3 years ago. I'd love to go back, thanks for the report and new pics!

ibndalight

ibndalight - Nov 19, 2007 1:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: hey!

i hope you don't mind me using it is was the best example of the pickets bushwack i could find

Viewing: 1-13 of 13
Return to 'The Picket Range Expedition' main page