Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.10930°N / 108.5766°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6173 ft / 1882 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

West Squaw TeatWest Squaw Teat

East Squaw TeatEast Squaw Teat

Due to the fact that the general shape of many mountains is somewhat rounded, it is no surprise that some of them are named after certain parts of human anatomy. The state of Wyoming has four peaks in it that are named after specific people, including Mitchells Nipple, Dans Nipple, Clara Birds Nipple, and Katys Nipple, and these are joined by Nipple Mesa, Nipple Butte, and The Nipple; even the Tetons are supposedly named for the resemblance, though I personally don't see it myself. The pair of small peaks in the badlands east of Meeteetse, Wyoming called the Squaw Teats are so named because they look like, well, you get the picture.

The West Squaw Teat is a ranked Wyoming peak, coming in at 2,818th in the state. Its lower neighbor to the east is 63 feet lower (6,110 feet) and doesn't have the necessary prominence to be a ranked peak, but it makes for a fun scramble when the pair is done as a loop. Not visible from any major roads, it takes a lengthy drive on dirt roads through BLM land to reach the base of the peaks. Both are steep scrambles, and the summit views are expansive and include the the high peaks of the Southeast Absarokas just outside of Meeteetse.

These two mountains are situated just inside the southern boundary of the Fifteenmile Horse Management Area, which covers about 83,000 acres of BLM land under the management of the Worland Field Office. This herd ranges from 100 to 250 wild horses; the more remote location of this herd makes it more difficult to see the horses when compared with the McCullough and Pryor herds to the north.

Getting There and Climbing Information

Summit view eastSummit view towards East Squaw Teat

Wyoming badlandsWyoming badlands
Southeast AbsarokasSE Absarokas

From Meeteetsee, Wyoming, go east on Highway 120 for 9.1 miles and look for a dirt road that heads north off of the highway. This is Squaw Teats Road, but it is unmarked. Follow this road as it weaves through the badlands, eventually heading up and around Buck Butte, which is next to some radio towers. At this point, you will be able to see the Squaw Teats in the distance to the northeast. There is a fork at a point that is 10 miles from the highway; stay left here and drive for 2.5 more miles. Turn left on the two-track road and drive for 0.2 miles and park next to the gate. All of the roads were in pretty good shape in October 2009, and I did not need 4WD or high clearance, but they could become difficult after rains or snow. It would probably be a good idea to study the area with Google Earth to make sure you don't take a wrong turn somewhere.
Squaw BenchmarkSquaw BM
West Squaw TeatWest Squaw Teat

Pass through the gate and head up the steep south side of West Squaw Teat; this is a steep scramble, but it never has to get harder than Class 2+, though you could make it Class 3 if you wanted to. There is a benchmark at the summit, which is at the south end of the narrow ridge. To complete a loop of the two peaks, go to the north end of the summit ridge and descend to the saddle before scrambling up the north side of the east peak. If that side is too steep, continue around to the east side, which is easier. There is a rock cairn on the summit, but no benchmark; return to the car by skirting north around the ravine that is just below the mountain.

The total distance for the round trip loop is about 1.0 mile with just over 400 feet of elevation gain.

Rock formationsClimbing the south side of West Squaw Teat

Red Tape & Camping

Visit the BLM site for all rules and regulations regarding use of public lands. There are no fees involved with hiking in this area.
Sign at the gate

As with all of the badlands areas in NW Wyoming, be very aware of approaching storms, as these areas are prone to flash-flooding, and even a little rain can quickly make these roads impassable. Rattlesnakes and mountain lions are found here, to take appropriate precautions to avoid these animals and know what to do if you encounter one.

For rules about camping on BLM land, visit this page.

External Links

Information about the Fifteenmile Wild Horse Herd:
http://www.blm.gov/wy/st/en/field_offices/Worland/wh/hma.html