The upper 2/3 of the NE...

The upper 2/3 of the NE...

The upper 2/3 of the NE Ridge---June, 2002
ScottyS
on Aug 28, 2002 9:34 pm
Image ID: 10601

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Diggler

Diggler - Feb 6, 2004 5:04 pm - Voted 10/10

sweet

Great pic- man does that look classic- can see even how a guy like Warren Harding might have a time with that in the winter!!

Craig Peer

Craig Peer - Feb 6, 2004 6:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: sweet

The Long Twisting Rib route is in great profile here leading up to the West Horn - outstanding photo!!

Misha

Misha - Feb 6, 2004 8:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: sweet

Can't wait to climb Long Twisting Rib (Craig, look what you've done)! We are hitting the slopes on July 9th (permit is reserved)!!!

PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Apr 10, 2004 4:06 am - Hasn't voted

I love these arial photos of climbing routes!

Great pic Scotty. BTW do you have any idea how 'fun' and 'easy' the ridge might be in late May, since that would't really fall into the winter climbing conditions that Harding encountered, or the dry and hot, but fast climbing in the later times of the year?



I'm looking at what might be good routes to to on Williamson in late May, when I can devote a whole week to a peak or two.

ScottyS

ScottyS - Apr 12, 2004 3:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I love these arial photos of climbing routes!

Hmmm, I would guess that doing the NE Ridge in the "in-between" season would be more complicated than either the full-winter climb or the summertime hike. Sporadic, unstable snow coupled with the highly technical ridge sounds bad. I have a feeling that most trips up that ridge involving snow don't stay on the crest proper most of the way, but stay low on the talus slopes and crossing the crest only where needed (2-3 times). It would really depend on snow conditions of the week......



The summer climb isn't exactly "hot", if you do the first 3-4000 in the dark/early morning.



If you have a couple days to do it, it might be OK. Trying it in one day with late-season snow would be a nightmare I would think. But then, I'm not much of a snow guy. Just the gear load requirements could change everything. Notice that in the photos from when we did it, Mr. Beck is simply wearing a tiny water bladder pack.......

ScottyS

ScottyS - Apr 12, 2004 4:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: I love these arial photos of climbing routes!

Follow-up:

I guess what I'm saying is that weather just before you go will dictate conditions. If things melt off fast, you may be OK. If we get a late storm, that could mess it up.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6