Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Floyd

Floyd - Feb 2, 2012 10:34 am - Hasn't voted

Nice Daddy/Daughter Time!

Another excellent trip Scott. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Scott - Feb 2, 2012 6:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Daddy/Daughter Time!

Thanks. It was a great time for sure.

Vitaliy M.

Vitaliy M. - Feb 7, 2012 4:05 pm - Hasn't voted

TYFP

Enjoyed the report and photos. Awesome to see someone sharing outdoors with their family.

Scott

Scott - Feb 13, 2012 11:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: TYFP

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you liked the report.

Novaboy

Novaboy - Feb 7, 2012 4:53 pm - Hasn't voted

Great memories

Good for you, Scott. It's always rewarding to wonder FAR away from the cruise ships and port! I took my kids (then ages 6.5 and 10) to Dominica back in the Spring of 2001... when air travel was tolerable. They loved the approach into and wild landing at the small airport on the north shore. Locals claimed then that my six-year-old son was the youngest hiker they recalled reaching the Boiling Lake. All I know is that the mineral-rich thermal springs along the way were oh-so-kind to my weary muscles on the hike back... And the local Guinness, waiting for me at the trailhead, was some of the BEST I've ever inbibed!!! What a day, and what a challenging & rewarding hike!

We feel so lucky to have visited this beautiful island BEFORE the port was deepened to receive today's cruise ships. We, too, spent part of our stay at Roxy's and enjoyed the company of the local owners. Not so impressed by the New Yorkers who owned the beachfront inn near Scott's Head -- the wife was extremely abusive to her local employees.

So good that you have this trip well documented for your daughter to remember all of her days.

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Feb 11, 2012 11:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Great memories

could you tell a bit more about soakable hot springs there, or point to online sources of info? It sounds really exciting! Aguas Calientes of PR are too little - too tame :)

Scott

Scott - Feb 12, 2012 1:48 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great memories

There are hot springs all over that area. Several hot pools are on the hike between Valley of Desolation and Boiling Lake. Titou Gorge has some too.

Even in the technical canyon there were hot springs.

Lower down at Trafalgar Falls, hot springs bubble up right at the base of the falls and mix with cold water. Search something like "Trafalgar Falls Hot Springs Dominica". There are also developed hot springs in the town below.

One place we didn't visit was Champagne Beach. Hot springs bubble up from just under the ocean and create a lot of bubbles. I don't know if you can feel the hot water though (but the ocean itself is plenty warm anyway).

Scott

Scott - Feb 13, 2012 11:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great memories

Awesome. It sounds like you had a great trip too. It's really beautiful there.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'The Wild Caribbean' main page