Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Apr 25, 2014 5:18 pm - Voted 10/10

On Your Toes

This is pristine "Nature keeps you on your toes" sometimes. We all know that feeling when heavy metal thunder rocks the area and you want that lightning not to get any closer! Glad it all went well.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Apr 25, 2014 6:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: On Your Toes

You put it perfectly. Yes, it's nature keeping you on your toes! Truth be told, if I knew this was going to turn into a trip with so many electrical storms, I would have bagged the whole idea right at the start. The mornings were great, but by mid day things would begin to change. Oh well, it's mother nature again!
Thanks Augie.

markhallam

markhallam - Apr 26, 2014 2:06 am - Voted 10/10

Re: On Your Toes

Not long after you had your electrical experience rgg and I went through similar a few thousand miles to the east, when we took it upon ourselves to camp (well, snow-cave) on summit of Mont Blanc... Having planned this experience for well over a year we ignored the 'possibility of late afternoon thunderstorms' bit of the otherwise excellent forecast. The upshot was we got indirect hits from 2 lightning strikes - great to talk about afterwards, but not much fun at the time (see http://www.summitpost.org/alps-international-expedition-2013/863122 )
Anyway glad you and your wife were spectators rather than participants in your lightning storms!
Best wishes, Mark

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Apr 26, 2014 11:19 am - Hasn't voted

Re: On Your Toes

Wow! two lightning strikes while biving on the summit of Mont Blanc! I bet that's an experience you will remember the rest of your life. Unfortunately, the link you sent didn't work for me, you know "the page you are looking for ......"
I remember some years ago a guy got killed by a lightning strike on the summit of Mount Whitney.
I sure am glad you and Rob walked away unscathed.

All the best,
Marc

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Thunder and Lightning, playing Russian Roulette with mother nature!' main page