Tie Dye's Completed U.S. High Point's
Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, Alpine Climbing, Bouldering, Aid Climbing, Hiking, Skiing, Wildlife, Flora, Topo/Diagram, Informational, Scenery, Panorama, Humor, Water

List of Completed H.P.'s

ND=5-27-05










SD=5-28-05











NE=5-29-05(21st Birthday!)
Panorama Point, NEThe Highpoint Marker













MN=3-14-06
Highpoint of WisconsinTimm's Hill Tower











WI=3-15-06
View from the Top of Iowa (Winter)The Expansive Iowa











IA=3-17-06
Borah HeadstandThe Headstand












ID=7-17-06(Solo)
 Summiting  KansasConquering KS













KS=3-11-07
Completing OK with my grandfatherCompleting OK with my Hero












OK=3-12-07
Peace and Love, from the top of IdahoFrom the top of Borah









Total=9

Why I High Point

Why would you want to climb the highest point in each state?

Well, a few years ago I once dreamed of climbing Mt. Denali (McKinley) because it was the highest point in N.A. After one day investigating this more, I discovered a group called the Highpointers. (www.highpointers.org) and with that, decided to culture myself better, and climb ALL of the state highpoints (Denali still being my ultimate goal). My girlfriend at the time looked at me as though I was crazy.
This same girlfriend accompanied me on my first three H.P.'s (ND,SD,NE) over my 21st birthday (2005). It was not much of an accomplishment, but gave me a new found addiction.
Then in January (2006) I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. This immediatly forced my to rethink my goals (especially Highpointing) and whether this could even be possible. With this dilemma in mind, I began to plan my next trip during Spring Break from school,and Kelly and I climbed MN, WI, and IA during Spring Break. With summiting Eagle Mountain, the H.P. of MN, I conquered the intial fear that M.S. would stop my dream. I now hope to climb the other 41 states, and with each step towards all fifty, is another step towards defeating my M.S.
My success of Borah Peak, ID. Only helped to bolster my confidence in myself, since this was my first Solo trip EVER!.
I also have a cousin with a chronic medical diagnosis, who has begun "Competing" with me for the U.S. Highpoints, which, only helps push the both of us harder. She is cheating though, by completing those in the Southeast first!
My family supports me, even though many do not understand my reasons. Some have even accompanied me on a few of my highpoints, specifically my grandfather. This support allows me to keep climbing, especially when I feel I have no strength left to muster. Thank you ALL for your support, whether you know it or not, this is where I am able to receive my strength!

"I Climb not because they are there, but because I can"---Favorite Quote

It is not the mountains we conquer, but ourselves.-Sir Edmund Hillary

Whats next?

Borah-Idaho-Mid July-Completed! Check out the Trip Report [img:208925:alignleft:thumb:From the top of Borah]

Guadalupe Pk: Hopefully with my roommate this January

Others Who Highpoint

There are a few others here on SP who Highpoint, below are links to their Highpointing Albums as well.

dgreaser

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-11 of 11
hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 5, 2006 6:48 pm - Voted 9/10

Please Delete This Page!

Three intrepid hikers already created a complete U.S. Highpoints page. For some reason, when I write comments, I can never get the URL feature to work, but the page is THIS PAGE

hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 5, 2006 6:57 pm - Voted 9/10

Hmm...wait

Oh, these are your "completed" highpoints. I didn't see that at first. I don't know what the rules are on this, since this is a new feature to this website. However, I still stand by my vote.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 5, 2006 8:19 pm - Voted 9/10

I guess I am just old guard

I didn't want this page to be confused with our Highpoints Page. Also, many people have their own highpoints site on the internet, including myself. However, my concern is that if one person puts up a personal highpoints page on summitpost, so will 50 other people, and it will be very confusing, especially if they try to link up with the main highpoints pages. That could create all sorts of problems. So I am starting my objection with this page.

b.

b. - Apr 5, 2006 9:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Well. . .

Tough tata if you're confused. Like you say, there are many resources better than summitpost for highpointers. If this guy wants his personal album, it fits right along with the non-hero mtn shots, and trucks on roads stuff. He who votes low on legitimate material should not whine when he gets low votes on his own stuff.

JasonH

JasonH - Apr 6, 2006 6:42 am - Voted 10/10

good job

I think this page looks good.

Rob A

Rob A - Apr 11, 2006 6:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Date Stamp

You might want to change your camera settings to get rid of the date stamp. I used to put it on my pics and now I think it takes something away from the picture. If you really want to put a date with the picture, put it in the caption.
Nice album.
Later, Rob

Tie-Dye Mike

Tie-Dye Mike - Apr 11, 2006 8:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Date Stamp

I agree, and have recently begun to either remove the stamp during editing, or taking it off the camera. As you can see, I've had problems in the past with the stupid stamp (all of my ND, SD, and NE highpoints have the WAY WRONG date)

Holsti97

Holsti97 - Apr 17, 2006 10:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Date Stamp

You have some nice photos. I don't vote on photos with a date stamp. The date annoys me. Welcome to the world of highpointing. It allows me to see the US and to climb mountains. If I lived in CA, CO, NY, or NH I am sure I would have different goals, but it is a good excuse to visit states all over the USA.

Tie-Dye Mike

Tie-Dye Mike - Apr 17, 2006 10:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Date Stamp

I was just reading about you and your trip to the east. I hope to do something like that, but in late September to catch the fall colors. Are you a member of the Highpointers? I highpoint for the same reason you do, to culture myself, and see beautiful country that I wouldn't normally see and meet people I would never meet. (so far I liked Steve Koski, Indian Country Sports, in L'anse MI Who tried to help me reach Arvon, and gave great directions and help, but too much snow had fallen to attempt a summit)
I was recently in WI over spring break to climb Timms Hill, (also on the page) and have nothing but positive regard to those in WI. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I dont like your 55mph highways though (BOOOORING!!!) But a great trip, and good cheese.

The date stamp problem I have remedied, because I agree it takes away from the picture, and CANNOT be removed like I thought. Some of my duck pictures would be way better without the stamp in my opinion. Anyway, some of my newer pics are free of the date stamps and are awaiting your opinion.

TLP

TLP - Jul 29, 2006 11:30 pm - Voted 10/10

Good

I like your album and your ambition. Lots of good photos of Borah Peak.

Tie-Dye Mike

Tie-Dye Mike - Jul 30, 2006 9:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good

Thanks for your comment! Borah was only my latest, as long as there is an SP, I will add more that will hopefully beat even my Borah Pics. Thanks Again...MIke

Viewing: 1-11 of 11