Budget cuts: Unusual to build today:
Explorers Escalante and Dominguez came through this route in 1776. US Highway 6 dates back almost 100 years. Travelers had a long way to go between cities, therefore a rest stop was needed. The frontier town was Tucker and it had a post office from 1881 to 1919. Now the state highway department somehow found $2 million to tear down the old facility and fix the intersection with Starvation and Skyline dirt roads. Now the important, busy highway is straightened out and the rest stop is very popular. Big trucks park there with plenty of space. The water in the bathroom comes from a local well drilled through a coal seam. Therefore the water is slightly gray-colored. Coal is actually good, given to poisoning victims in small doses. There are four bathrooms: Women, men, family, and mixed. The refrigerated vending machine makes change and has good prices. A real, big, heavy-duty payphone takes old fashioned coins and no cards. The new name is Tie Fork, named after the southwest bound creek to the east. The train tracks lie above the building. These tracks are busy taking 100 cars of coal twice a day to the IPP power plant north of Delta. Los Angeles writes a check for the coal and sends it to Utah.
Between Price and Spanish Fork, US-6 is a very pretty drive. The coal from Carbon county travels the canyon to Soldier Summit, gaining elevation as fast as possible without special sprockets and gears. Mile-marker 202 is the destination for the rest stop. Only one green sign east and west-bound is provided, but it can be seen ahead especially eastbound.