Titov Vrv, 2748m

Titov Vrv, 2748m

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.99203°N / 20.79823°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 9016 ft / 2748 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Titov Vrv (Tito's peak) is the highest peak of the Sar Planina-Range, which stretches along the Macedonian-Kosovarian boarder.

With 2.748m, it is also the second highest peak of Macedonia (Nr. 3 in Old Jugoslavia, after Triglav in Slovenia and Golem Korab). Its summit is located east of the border so the peak is completely with Macedonian boundardies (which makes it the highest peak completely located in Macedonia).

The old name of the mountain is "Golem Turcin", meaning Great Turk. The neighbouring mountain (2.706m) is still called Mal Turcin, meaning Small Turk.

On top of the mountain, there is a small (quite broken) tower, so you can recognize the mountain from far away.

Getting There

The summit is normally climbed from Popova Sapka, a (bit outdated) ski ressort west/above of Tetovo. There is a paved road all the way up to Popova Sapka, which makes Titov Vrv one of the most easily accessible mountains in all Sar Planina.

Route

There are two main routes to the summit, please refer to the route section.

Red Tape

No red tape. Just take care of Sheep Dogs.

When to Climb

Best time is certainly summer and autumn. Skiing is also possible, and for sure great (see trip report in the Sar Planina section). Certainly you have to take care of avalanches.

Camping/Accomodation

I don't know about any camp ground in Popova Sapka. Wild camping is probably possible, the terrain is perfect for camping, but there are bears, wolves and shephard dogs living in the area. In Autumn 2013, only one hotel was opened (Snow Patrol Lodge, recommendable) and this only on the weekend. All other hotels were closed and opened just for winter season. As well you can stay in Tetovo, the drive up to Popova Sapka is not very long. Though, I think Popova Sapka is the better choice, since it's a a very calm place in summer and the air is probably much better up there than down in Vardar Valley.

External Links

Trip report in German Language: http://www.hikr.org/tour/post78510.html

more pics: https://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=3&object_name_3=titov&page=1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Shar planinaMountains & Rocks