Tolminski Kuk with 2085 meters ( 6841 feet ) is highest mountain of South Bohinj Range and with Podrta gora ( 2061m ), Vrh nad Skrbino ( 2054m ), Zeleni vrh ( 2052m ) and Bogatin ( 2008m ) combines group of mountains where South Bohinj Ridge outgrows for Julian Alps " magic " two thousand meters of altitude.
It is mighty mountain of pyramidal form, which is characteristic for almost all mountains of this beautiful ridge. Nice view on mountain is from Komna plateu, from summit of Tolminski Migovec ( 1881m ),from summit of Vrh nad Skrbino ( 2054m ) from summit of Zabiski Kuk ( 1841m ) and from Krn group.
Interesting, although it is highest summit of South Bohinj Ridge and is relatively easily accesible mountain has little visitors. But differently is in winter, when he have visitors because of ski mountaineering.
In 2012 the cave system Migovec "became" the longest in Slovenia. The international team found connection between two systems, each long around 12.000 meters. Altogether now the discovered length of system is 24.900 meters, which is more than thefamous Postojna cave. And chances to discover more space underground are very promising. Those who were underground say that it's a wonder that this mountain is still standing. Regarding the vertical depth the system is however still missing a few meters to reach the "magical" 1000 meters.
Tolminski Kuk can be reached from the south and from the north. From the south you follow the dreamy beautiful valley of Soca river. You will nowhere in Europe find a river of a such light blue colour. Town Tolmin and Soca valley can be reached from the south ( from Italy via Gorizia, from Slovenia via Idrija or Ajdovscina ) or from the north ( over Vrsic Pass from Sava valley or over Predel pass from Tarvisio ). It's also possible to arrive there from the west, from Udine over the Ucja/Uccea pass or from Udine via Cividale and then over Stupizza pass - these routes are reaching Tolmin. You turn in town per a local road to village Zabce and than to village Tolminske Ravne. Tolmin - Zabce - Tolminske Ravne = 10 km
From the north the Bohinj valley can be reached by a good road from the well known tourist resort of Bled. We drive from Ribcev Laz round road along wonderful Bohinj lake to the parking place nearby koca pri Savici ( hut at Savica ), 653m. To here is also good bus connection.
- from koca pri Savici ( hut at Savica ), 653m : Go by marks towards dom na Komni ( hut on Komna ), 1520m. To here 2h30min. From here go by marks toward planina ( mountain pasture ) za Migovcem, 1631m. Than you achieve saddle Skrbina, 1910 and from here go by marks toward the north-west. Below Zeleni vrh ( 2061m ) you have 2 paths. One lead you to summit of Zeleni vrh and then you reach summit of Tolminski Kuk. Second is unmarked path and lead you around summit of Zeleni vrh to summit of Tolminski Kuk ( 2085m ). Nice ski tour in winter till saddle Skrbina!
From Skrbina saddle
Time Required : koca pri Savici - dom na Komni - Skrbina saddle - Tolminski Kuk - dom na Komni - koca pri Savici = 8-9 hours
( advisably sleep in hut dom na Komni )
From path to planina ( mountain pasture ) Razor
- from koca na planini ( hut on mountain pasture ) Razor ( 1315m ): Go by marks toward the north. First you rich Kopecko ( 1541m ) plateu than at first crossroads you go at left. At second crossroads you go at right and reach saddle Skrbina ( 1910m ). From here go by marks toward the north-west. Below Zeleni vrh ( 2061m ) you have 2 paths. One lead you to summit of Zeleni vrh and then you reach summit of Tolminski Kuk. Second is unmarked path and lead you around summit of Zeleni vrh to summit of Tolminski Kuk ( 2085m ). Nice ski tour in winter!
Time Required : koca na planini Razor - Skrbina saddle - Tolminski Kuk - koca na planini Razor = 6-7 hours
On the main crest between Kuk (behind) and Veliki Bogatin
- Traversing South Bohinj Range : ( summit of Tolminski Kuk engaged ) click here
- Bohinjsko jezero z okolico ( Bohinj lake with surroundings ), Planinska Zveza Slovenije. 1:25000 - very good map !
- Julijske Alpe, zahodni del (western part), Planinska Zveza Slovenije. 1:50000
- Posocje, Planinska Zveza Slovenije. 1:50000
- or interactive map - click here
From Komna plateu..
is in Triglav national park. There are no restraints practically. We beg you,that you keep nature intact, don't pick up flowers. Garbages also don't fit on mountains ;-)
When To Climb, Huts and Accommodations
View from Krnica valley...
Tolminski Kuk can be reached in all seasons. In winter you need to be careful, because of the possibility of avalanches or iced slopes. Unannounced thunderstorms or fog require a necessary precaution also in summer.
From Krnica valley...
- koca na planini ( hut on mountain pasture ) Razor, 1315m
- koca pri Savici ( hut at Savica ), 653m
- koca pod Bogatinom ( hut below Bogatin ), 1513m
- dom na Komni ( hut on Komna ), 1520m
Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the
Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The
Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.
Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.