Tombstone Mountain Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Old School WB

Old School WB - Aug 21, 2012 11:59 am Date Climbed: Aug 20, 2012

Great solo day on South Tombstone.   Sucess!

Followed the south ridge crest all the way up; not a moderate scramble. Kane’s guidebook rating of moderate must assume the scrambler drops left (west) to avoid the difficult ridge (very exposed Class 4). I had hoped to have a 6 hour day, but had to work hard to get 6:45 car to car; still better than the guidebook fastest time of 7 hours; yeah! A bike is a must for a quick ascent. No summit register in summit cairn.

Linda Breton

Linda Breton - Oct 11, 2006 7:14 pm Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2004

South Ridge Scramble  Sucess!

Rather steep scrambling at the base of the ridge. Good scrambling on the ridge, an amazing drop to the east side of the ridge. Our summit stay was cut short by a fierce and sudden lightning storm. We were hailed on three times trying to escape via the west facing drainage! A memorable day in the mountains.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Jul 27, 2005 11:32 pm

Route Climbed: South Ridge Date Climbed: August, 2003  Sucess!

The 4-5 kilometers on Elbow Trail from Elbow Pass are very pleasant and quick. I made it more difficult as I ventured to far east below the ridge top, therefore, having to free climb to the ridge itself over 5th class terrain. I observed a Broad-Winged Hawk perched at 9000'. It took me 2:15 from when I left the trail to reach the summit, nonstop, over 3000' vertical gain. The real summit is actually the 2nd summit you come to. There was a register log in 2003. When you look back at the summit, you can now tell where you were and how it got its name. Wife, dog and horse went in with me and grazed in the open high alpine meadows while I climbed. Splendid day. I love this area in general.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Tombstone Mountain' main page