Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 22.3031°S / 42.7629°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6745 ft / 2056 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Torres de Bonsucesso are in the mountain group neighbor Tres Picos State Park. As the same range. you can meet another mountains like Cabeça do Dragão ( 2006 mts. ) , Ronca Pedra ( 2058 ) and Frades Group ( 2000 mts . ). The mountains very scarpes and big walls dominates the geography. Overthere, you can see a lot of mountains of Rio's State, how Tres Picos, Frades Mountains and Serra dos Orgãos National Park.

Getting There

This mountains are situated between two towns: Nova Friburgo and Teresopolis. From Rio de Janeiro, you can get two ways to Bonsucesso Valley : To Nova Friburgo ( RJ-116 road ) that takes the same road to Tres Picos, you'll to continue and turns to 1st left entrance going to Bonsucesso Valley and falls. To Teresopolis, takes the BR-116 to North, turns to RJ-122 to Nova Friburgo and go to Bonsucesso district. There are two access to get the trail to the summit : From RJ-122 road:
- Enter at Bom Retiro road to the Lucio's Farm, then when arrives there, continue at the same road to the last particular area, Luca's Farm. This is the end of the road and the start of the trail. You should to cross the Morro Agudo River bridge ( a small bridge ) and take the way at the right side of this river. There are just one trail to the summit, and at 1700 mts ( aprox. ) you pass by the trail bifurcation ( Torres de Bonsucesso - Fonseca's Mountains( Frades Valley ) ), turns at the right way to the summit. At this point, The Torre is visible.
- Another way to get the summit is : Drive at RJ-122 to Campanha District, go to the Firmamento Farm and stop the car. Overthere, just have the trail to Fonseca mountains and follow the bedriver of Corrego Sebastiana to the bifurcation of the other trail refered yet. After this, just few minutes to rest over the top of this great mountain.

Climbing Routes

There are many routes to climb Torres de Bonsucesso. I'll show some difficult routes.
Grito das Andorinhas : 6°VI E3
O Segredo do Bloco : 6°VII E4
Fissura Sideral : 6° VIIa
Corajoso Medo : 6° VIIa A2 E5
The Northwest Face : 2° III
Fissura Cosmica do Sul : 5° VI A3
Explosão Demente : 3° VI A1 E3
Medos e Mitos : 6 VIIa A3 E4
( Just in the Torres )

Topography

Look at the map, the Torres de Bonsucesso localization.

Red Tape

Torres isn't inside in a national park, so the same rules must to be respect. These mountais are a free tropical forest and inexplorate mountains. Be careful to walk on the tracks. Many routes are inside of particular areas and it is necessary (sometimes) to get your free pass.

When To Climb

At winter the weather is better and colder than another months. I recommend April to September. This is a cold area to climb and camping.

Camping

At the two sides that you can camp: Frades or Salinas Valley. Decide the way to go and be happy in your trip. There are a lot of falls and big walls to feel the Nature.

Mountain Conditions

Enter www.cptec.inpe.br for area forecasts.



Routes

Torres de Bonsucesso has many technical climbing routes. People like very much this tower. This section is to post climbing photos in Torres.