Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 31.05920°N / 7.9164°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 1, 1997
I climbed Jebel Toubkal as part of a 6 day walk with my brother in 1997 and here are my brief notes on the trip. It is in note form from my diary, I would be happy to answer questions by email.


Start point/ end point: Imlil
Map: 1:100 000 French 1972

Day 1: Imlil (1650m) to Tachddirt (2291m)
A short day's walk from the youth hostel in Imlil, 4/5 hours, over a hot and dusty pass. There were very few others in the mountains and it was great to walk on our own. There was not much water around and so every time that we passed a stream we filled up all of our water bottles. We stayed in a Berber home for the night and met an English guy who was on his own. The three of us were made very welcome and we gave them some money in the morning. It was a typical house in the very small village; the animals were downstairs and there were two rooms upstairs.

Day 2: Tachddirt (2291m) to Azib Likempt (2566m)
Left early to avoid the mid-day sun, a long slog up the scree slope to the Tizi-n-Likent (3615m) Descent was easier. Encountered a mule train of 25 beasts. The two of us slept in bivvy bags behind some large rocks in the valley.

Day 3: Azib Likempt (2566m) to Amsouzat (1740m)
After a tough initial climb for an hour we got to a lush valley where we met some shepherds who gave us tea. At the pass I began to feel very ill indeed and I think I was suffering from heat exhaustion. We made the direct descent into the valley and I found a stream to sit in. After a 2hr rest in the shade we continued to Amsouzat with me being sick all the way. I am glad that we took the direct way down to the valley floor because the trail along the valley was the best scenery of the whole trip. It is such a shame that I couldn't enjoy it fully.

Day 4: Amsouzat (1740m) to Lac d'Ifni (2295m)
I was feeling ill so we decided to hire a mule for the 2 day walk to the refuge Toubkal. We stayed in a shelter beside the brilliant blue lake- Lac d'Ifni. The shelter belonged to a sheperd who gave us a little food, we gave him some of our army ration pack in return. He didn't want any money in the morning..I swam across the lake and it was freezing cold. The shepherd thought I was stark raving mad.

Day 5: Lac d'Ifni (2295m) to Refuge Toubkal (3106m)
The climb up to the Tizi-n-Ouanoums pass was wonderful, it took a long time and there were many false summits. I was feeling better. View was superb from the pass and the descent was over scree down to the Toubkal Hut. The hut is comfortable but basic (much like an alpine hut). We used their stoves to cook our food. There was a British couple there and a ridiculously stereotypical US Marine from the embassy who was trekking with his girlfriend.

Day 6: Refuge Toubkal (3106m) to summit and Imlil.
Got up at 0400 to climb. Not as great as some of the climbs that we did over passes, but the fact that it was the summit made it fun. There is a metal structure at the top and we sat beside it and drunk the minature champagne bottles that we had got on the BA flight over. We came the direct way down (no path) and passed the wreckage of a small aircraft, some people followed us down the unsafe route and so Simon and I had to help them out. Met some friends of my parents at the bottom quite randomly (isn't the world a small place?)

I recommend the 'rough guide' book to morocco, it has a good bit about the atlas range. I hope the report is interesting and useful!

Click here to read about my ascent of Aconcagua by the Polish Glacier Traverse route.
Follow this link to read my trip report from the Biafo - Hispar Glacial traverse.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Jbel ToubkalTrip Reports