Trail from Buckhorn

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.31590°N / 117.9266°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Follow the directions to Cloudburst Summit in "Getting There" on the main page. Instead of stopping at Cloudburst, continue on past the ski area. Shortly after the lifts the road will turn 90 degrees to the right. On the left side of the highway there is a large parking area. If you get to the turn-off for Buckhorn campground you have gone too far.

More or less directly opposite the parking area is a gated dirt road with a Waterman trail marker. This is your nominal starting point.

Route Description

A few yards past the gate a trail heads left and parallels the road for a few hundred yards. Follow this trail for about a mile and a half until reaching the junction with the Three Points trail. Take the Three Points trail, unless you want to bag Waterman first. Soon you will reach the marked trail to Twin Peaks saddle. This trail is reasonably well maintained down to the saddle and over a couple of humps before starting up the steep north slope of Twin. From there, all pretense to grading is abandoned. The route is fairly well ducked, though it hardly needs it. If you have a choice, head left near the summit ridge; the trail will take you directly to the east summit. Return the way you came.

Distance: ~11 miles
Elevation gain: 2,700 feet

Essential Gear

There isn't much water on this trail, so bring plenty. In winter, crampons or snowshoes can be useful.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.