Traverse (normal route)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 56.64623°N / 4.90034°W
Additional Information Route Type: Walk in summer, harder in winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk (in summer)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Start from the car park at Alltnafeadh on the A82, a few miles NW of the Kingshouse Hotel. There is plenty of space, but it can get very busy in the summer / weekends.

Route Description

From the car park a path goes towards the white hut of Lagangarbh. Passing the hut, the path begins climbing into Coire na Tulaich. Route-finding is straighforward. Towards the top of the coire, the gradient steepens. There is a stretch of scree / gravel, and then the final section is an easy scramble on rocks, often wet and slimy. After that, you emerge on a wide col. Heading left (E) takes you up rocky slopes to the summit. The last bit of the ridge before the summit is increasingly narrow (no difficulty), anf the summit is perched on the edge of the cliffs, overlooking Rannoch Moor. The shortest return is by the same route.

To traverse the ridge, return to the col above Coire na Tulaich, and continute along the ridge, broad and easy at this point. Keep heading SW, and a steep climb leads to Stob na Doire. There is a reasonably long descent from this peak to continue the ridge. At the next col there is a steep path leading down the coire to the north, which is the best descent route from this end of the ridge, although care must be exercised in winter. However, to complete the traverse, continute along the rige over Stob Coire Altruim to Stob na Broige. There is a fine view doen Glen Etive from this, the last peak on the ridge. Descend by returning to the col between Stob na Doire and Stob Coire Altruim. Drop down the path N from here to reach the Lairig Gartain path, which leads back to the A82 near the start point.

Essential Gear

Good boots, waterproofs in summer. Ice axe and crampons essential in winter. Snow usually encountered in Coire na Tulaich until May, at a steep angle - ice axe necessary.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.