Traverse to East Summit

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.49500°N / 120.997°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The approach to this traverse is either the Southwest Slope Route or the North Face Route, which both end at the West Summit. The traverse begins at the major saddle immediately east of the West Summit. It is a Class 2/3 scramble to get from the West Summit to the saddle. Or, if coming up from the Southwest Slope Route, you can bear rightward toward the saddle before going up to the West Summit.

I include this route description for those who might wish to visit the triangulated (at 9,112 ft) East Summit. The West Summit has not been triangulated. If you want a slightly different perspective on things (for instance, a better view of Park Creek) head to the East Summit. Also, the East Summit is the de facto county highpoint until it can be proven conclusively that the 9080+ ft West Summit is higher. It could be as high as 9119 ft. Of course, even the existence of a 9112 spot elevation on the East Summit doesn't prove anything. It's just a number on the map. The truth is on the mountain not on the map.

Route Description

From the major saddle just east of the West Summit, go 25 paces along the ridge over the top of the first rise. Drop down on the south in a depression and contour 30 feet to round the south side of the next gendarme. From the corner you should be able to see a notch with the East Summit visible through it. This notch is right of a tower with yellow lichen clinging to its south face. Aim toward this notch on ledges. From the notch, simply cross onto the north side of the next gendarme thence to the ridge crest and take it all the way to the East Summit.

Time = 20 minutes.
Difficulty = Class 3 but loose and/or licheny in places.

Essential Gear

No special gear necessary. It is merely a scramble, but loose in places.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.