Traverse to Silver Peak Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 23, 2012 3:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Broken links?

Bob,

Some friends and I are planning on the Highland/Silver Peak combo hike this summer. I noticed that your two links in the description aren't working. I was hoping to take a look at the maps, and find a route down Silver Peak that doesn't add too much mileage. What would you say adding Silver Peak to Highland Peak does to distance? Adds 1 1/2 hours maybe? 2 1/2 miles?

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Apr 24, 2012 10:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Broken links?

Thanks - I fixed the links.
If you do the hike starting from Noble Canyon east of Ebbetts Pass, then Silver is pretty much free. Still not to bad if you're heading back to Ebbetts. It took me 1h20m to got between the two summits. A most enjoyable outing, as I recall.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 25, 2012 11:22 am - Hasn't voted

Thanks Bob

Thanks. It seems to me though, isn't a safer route, just to swing around the south side of Highland, and back on the PCT to make it back to Ebbett's Pass? Seems like about 13.5 miles rt to bag both summits.

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Apr 25, 2012 5:41 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks Bob

Not sure what you are referring to with "safer". If you do Highland first, the fastest way back from Silver is down the west side, whether you go up Noble Canyon (to the PCT and Ebbetts Pass) or down the canyon to the highway. "Swing around the south side of Highland" - does mean around the east and south sides? If so, that is a much longer route. It's class 2 whether you go down the east or west side of Silver.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Apr 25, 2012 11:48 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks Bob

Do you have a good sense of where you are going when descending the west side? I assume the objective is to return to the PCT. But wouldn't we back to bushwhack through the forest on the way down?

Bob Burd

Bob Burd - Apr 26, 2012 2:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks Bob

Very little bushwhacking, if any. The west side has wide open views during the entire descent. Travel through Sierra forests is usually easy - very little undergrowth to whack through, mostly just fallen trees and branches.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Traverse to Silver Peak' main page