Tree Springs Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.17410°N / 106.4164°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Facts

Distance - 3.4 miles (one-way)
Trailhead Elevation - 8480'
Summit Elevation - 9627'
Gain - 1440'

Approach

See the "Getting There" section for the Tree Springs Route on the Pt 9627 main page.

Route Description

Tree Springs Trailhead
Tree Springs Trailhead
Tree Springs Sign
Mileage Sign

These pictures show the beginning of the Tree Springs Trail. The trail is well defined and well marked. The sign at the beginning of the trail displays fairly accurate mileages for certain trail intersections. Continue up the wide, well worn path to the first intersection with the Oso Corridor trail.
 

Tree Springs Split
Tree Springs/Oso Trail split


At the intersection with the Oso Corridor trail head right (southwest) uphill. The trail will continue without intersecting any other trails until you reach the Crest Trail. This trail is well shaded with a few areas with breaks in the trees offer nice views of the surrounding area. Higher up the trail switchbacks many times.

After 1.75 miles you will come to an intersection with the Crest Trail as well as the 10K trail. You will go behind the fence and go left (south). Going north will take you to the Tram. At this point the Crest Trail has some ups and downs but the majority of the climbing is done and you can enjoy an easy hike in the shade. After about a mile on the Crest Trail you will need to leave the trail and bushwhack west towards the summit. The best place to do so is after seeing this natural rock wall pictured below. The coordinates of this point are 35.1728N, 106.4122W. At this point just choose the easiest path uphill towards the summit. This is where a GPS with both coordinates would be helpful.

 

Trail Intersection
Tree Springs/Crest Trail intersection
Leaving the trail
Leaving the Crest Trail

Essential Gear

Typical gear for a short hike. A GPS would be helpful for the final section of route finding.

External Links

Local weather: Albuquerque
City of Albuquerque open space info: here
Local Search and Resuce Team: Cibola SAR



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.